1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Fishing and eating

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by MrX, Dec 12, 2012.

1. MrX

MrX Newbie

We had once gone to a riverside to have some awesome trekking experience....once we reached there for fun we started fishing in the river and we caught some really big fishes...and 3 crabs then we made a small bonfire and roasted the fish there and ate it it was one awesome experience to eat it even though it was not the best food but it was cool :D

2. Panda©

Panda© Newbie

Fishing is a great way to optimize your camping experience, to catch what you eat gives a real sense of satisfaction one unwritten rule though, which should be respected is, only catch what you are going to eat! don't be greedy and don't catch fish just for the fun of it, as an animal rights activist i take this rule seriously

3. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

@Panda©, Does that include catching fish for eating later? Cause I tend to maximize my catch so that I have something to fix up for eating later. That said I do not approve of overfishing - unless it's something like Snakeheads or certain species of Carp. Those species are bad for the environment and need to be removed.

4. stiflex

stiflex Newbie

Its always fun, and appetizing to eat at the outdoors, its especially interesting because you actually caught the fish yourself :)

5. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

You should eat anything you catch right away unless you have a cooler and ice (or very cold water you are fishing in). Also, it does take some practice to learn how to properly clean a fish. Some types of fish are easier to filet than others but most fresh water fish are pretty easy.

You might want to get a dvd or check youtube to see it done a couple of times. And make sure you have a sharp fileting knife and a proper cutting board. You use the wrong tools and you will mess up your catch or injure yourself.

6. Norrwen

Norrwen Newbie

I love keeping in touch with my roots by eating food that I have fished or hunted. I've had some similar experiences.

7. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

You would either hate me or be completely appalled. I tend to use a towel on top of a flat rock and sharpest pocketknife. It works well enough and I have thus far managed to keep all my fingers/thumbs/life. I think it's all the practice and my experiences with dissection from my biology education.

8. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

I have never actually eaten the fish I have caught directly at the campfire. We always take the fish back home and butcher them all at once. Then we have a huge fish fry and freeze all the extra fish for the upcoming months.

9. Foster

Foster Newbie

I went to Bimini and found a KING FISH! I didn't eat it.

10. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

I have fished for carp in the past because we make a soup out of them. There okay for eating, but they do have a lot of bones. I only fish what I am going to eat and nothing more.

11. Libragirl67

Libragirl67 Newbie

In all the years we have gone camping we never ate our fish we caught. Partly because we never really caught anything big enough. And also my boys have never learned to clean a fish properly. Iam sure this would be an awesome experience though. We are just to inexperienced right now. But someday I hope my boys learn this trade. From all the posts Iam reading it sounds like there may a bit of a trick to it.

12. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

When I was young and we went camping, my father was the fisherman and we got to eat the trout he caught. As I got older my younger brother liked fishing as well, but it was my father who could catch fish when no one else could. I got a few but my dad always cleaned the fish that we ate. I wish he was still alive, then maybe he could teach me the finer points of this skill.

My dad was always out the first day of spring trout season. He could go to a creek where no one was catching any fish, and go up stream a short distance throw in his line and start catching fish. The other fishermen would come up where he was and he would go where they had been, throw in the line and catch fish. Needless to say, they were not happy and could not figure out how he caught them when they could not. It was like he was a fish whisperer. It was something I admired in my father.

But since he is not here anymore, I am learning by watching youtube video's. I have watched skilled outdoorsmen fishing and cleaning fish and some real jerks who don't know the first thing about anything. My favorite ones are bushcraftbartons and just, bushcraft. It is a great way to decide if I want to stick with spinning reels or try flyfishing. But it has supplied me with the needed knowledge of how to safely clean and cook fish, as well as, how to skin one should I want to choose that method.

13. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Hm, what kind of soup? As for overfishing snakeheads and certain craptastic breeds of carp - they are crowding out all the good fish and they honestly don't belong in the enviroment. So I'm good with taking as many of them out of the equation as possible.

14. bigteeth96

bigteeth96 Newbie

That sounds like fun, fishing and cooking the products. I wish I knew how to fish, but I don't want to invest a lot of money on the equipment, so I'll start with my bare hands in a creek first.

15. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I wouldn't advise that method as it's rather inefficient at best, and painful at worse. That said you don't need anything too fancy. All you really need is to get a sturdy rod and some good line. You can catch or make your own bait to use.

Draft saved Draft deleted