1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Flora photos

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Bushman, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Bushman

Bushman Newbie

I found this link while browsing the internet a while back and thought that some of you may like to give it a look. There's quite a large collection of pictures on plant life in the US. Who knows someday it may save you from picking the wrong leaf! :D

http://foragingpictures.com/

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

They have quite a comprehensive list of plant species on there, thanks for sharing the link.

I'm not sure all of the names are correct though, for example one was listed just as "Little brown mushrooms". Could that really be their name?

3. Bushman

Bushman Newbie

If you click on that "little brown mushrooms" there will be images of a couple different varieties of little brown mushrooms there. So I suppose that would be a correct name for that group of mushrooms, no I don't believe the true names of those mushrooms are little brown mushrooms. Though upon further research I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem with finding the name.

4. Libragirl67

Libragirl67 Newbie

This is an informative link. I like that they have different medicinal plants listed. I am all for herbal treatments. Especially with all the side effects from these synthetic drugs. And my boys are big into morell mushroom hunting. And that can be tricky, because there are poisonous copy-cats out there. And it is always good to be able to identify different poisonous plants like ivy, and oak.

5. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

In NYC area too, I bet there are more plants growing in nooks a crannies in a large city than most people (like me) would guess. That sure is an interesting link, thanks!

6. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Be reminded that herbal treatments have their own side effects... and they tend to be rather more fatal as well as slightly harder to treat. Synthetic drugs come with instructions on what's in them, dosage, and whatnot to mix them with. Do you know not to mix foxglove with caffine due to effects on the heart? Do you know about the various names for the same plants so as not to overdose or anything? Just saying.

7. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Thanks for the sharing the link. I will check it out more closely as I am into knowing about different wild plants that can provide food or medical care in the woods. But importantly as stated above, you don't want to use something unless you know for a fact the plant is properly identified and is edible or not. I have a few books on this subject and I know a few of these plants by sight, like may-apples and elderberry, mullein and red clover,etc.., but I know others have lots of look-a-likes, that could make you really sick if eaten or used for a herbal cure.

One of my favorite books to read is Stalking The Good Life, by Euell Gibbons
    This book is a man's adventure into foraging for survival. He talks about going out on camping trips and getting most or all of his meals from the forests and streams, or rivers. The book has some illustrations of wild plants, and he gives details of his many camping trips and of people he taught the art of finding wild foods and preparing them in such a fashion it makes your mouth water, and you wish he was still alive to teach you. The book is out of print but can be found on-line. He also wrote Stalking the Wild Asparagus and Stalking the Healthful Herbs.

Another book I have is called Backyard Medicine, by Julie Bruton-Seal & Matthew Seal
    It tells about how to harvest wild plants and make herbal remedies. It goes into great detail explaining what the plants look like, along with pictures and detailed uses for each plant. Again there are many I know and others I need more instruction on their identification. One way to do this is finding someone who makes their own herbal medications and having them teach you or get advice where to take classes.

campforums likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted