1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Food preparation at home?

Discussion in 'Food' started by Faust, Jun 9, 2015.

?

How much do you prep food at home prior to heading out tenting?

1. All my food is cut, individually packaged and ready to cook.

25.0%
  2. Most of my food is portioned, final touches required on site.

75.0%
  3. Planned meals, most prep done on the picnic table.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I predominantly only need ketchup and mustard.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Faust

Faust Explorer

My girlfriend and I are always at odds regarding how much food preparation should be done at home so I am curious to see what others do and think.

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Well I have done a fairly large range of preparation but usually I try to be as organized as possible. Sometimes however I will end up getting some of the food the day of trip as I am heading out of town so I can't individually package it or cut it or whatnot. It also depends what the food is. Some things require more preparation than others or they are very hard to do when you don't have a clean flat surface to work on. This is one of the reasons that picking the right foods is important for camping trips. It is certainly nice to be able to just open up your pack and take everything out all ready though, especially the first day when you have spent the day travelling and setting up your site.

3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I plan by menu - when that is done I can pack accordingly. When tripping I get rid of as much of the pre-packaging as I can and will re-package to accommodate my needs. I have a colleague who is into dehydrated foods and does much of his own especially ground beef.

We are fortunate to have a lot of choices we can select from - knowing were to find them, bypassing the Outdoor Supply Stores, can be tricky. But it can be done at great saving.

The secret is planning a menu - and not leaving it to the last minute like I've seen a lot of people do.

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Don't forget to cast your vote ;)

5. JessiFox

JessiFox Novice Camper

I do the majority of it at home, just add the final touches at the end, so to speak. Then again I'm of the mindset that you can't really be overly prepared in general, food not really an exception to that rule ;).

Draft saved Draft deleted