1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

For The Love Of Wolves

Discussion in 'Nature' started by 2sweed, Apr 5, 2014.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Often times one longs to know more about wolves and I have recently found out about a website that tells of the Lobo Wolves of northwestern Pennsylvania, and how a Doctor McCleery, helped save this species of wolves. Anyone we would enjoy learning about the efforts to save the wolves can visit the following link to learn more. It is a very moving story about how this Doctor and the tiny town of Kane, Pa., tried to help by setting up a wolf compound and caring for the wolves with the help of donations until his death.

Another man a good friend of the doctor's took over their care, and then moved the wolves to the west coast to Washington State. The wolves however, did not thrive there as well do to the rainy weather, and then as a last resort they were moved to Montana, where relatives keep up the effort to preserve the species. If you live or lived, in any of those areas this story will be of interest to you. Even just the love of the beauty of wolves will make this story one you will not forget.
    http://www.mccleerywolves.com

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I enjoyed reading this. A great topic.

And on this side - there is the Wolf Centre - Haliburton Wildlife and Game Preserve and Algonquin Park that boasts of having over 200 wolf packs.

ndpikj.jpg

Canis Lupus - Gray Wolf - magnificent creatures; sophisticated, regal and marvellous in every way. If you attend a Wolf Howl evening you just might be lucky enough to be rewarded by the haunting howl of these mighty ancient dogs.

Question? :yawn: How can you distinguish the Alpha Male from the rest of the pack? How does one identify the Queen?

3. 2sweed

4. Northern Dancer

Thank you for that - i actually knew the answer. The wolf and the bear have always been camp totems that I have used over the years. I often wear wilderness jewellery depicting the same. Thank you for the likes too - that was thoughtful though I didn't think that I said anything that great.

5. 2sweed

While I posted this over in a different thread for you, I will add it here for others who love wolves to enjoy. It is a way of understanding how the wolf totem and those that love wolves have a connection. A bit deep but also very insightful in giving a knowledge known only to a few.
    What do you think about this subject? Come and share your thoughts.
    http://www.lightforcenetwork.com/sites/default/files/Wolf Spirit Meaning.pdf

6. 2sweed

By the way I liked what you have said because it is informative and interesting. I like the comfortable camping because I am older and need to be warmer and have things handy in the tent, that in my youth did not matter. So I find your comments giving me hope for a enjoyable camping experience and know that I am making the right choices the first time instead of dumb costly mistakes. :)

7. Northern Dancer

You are very welcome. The reality is that there are far more older campers than people realize. People who are well established, kinda know what they like and don't like and have some capability to pursue their interests.

8. 2sweed

Most of the ones I know my age only camp in motor-homes or other such trailers, few if any in my area still use a tent. Some are afraid of the bears but most can not deal with no bathroom or running water. I like the pop-up campers but not sure my car could pull one. Recently I saw a tent setup for a motor cycle that is pretty cute. Part of the tent is on a trailer and the rest sits on the ground. However, I doubt something made for a motorcycle to haul would hook up to a car. :(

9. Northern Dancer

Here I go again...where I go into Haliburton Forest the site has a picnic table, fire ring and an outhouse. Because I'm there for awhile I clean that place like they are going to perform surgery. I also have a wash stand tent in my cluster or buildings...I mean tents.

xdsegy.jpg

10. 2sweed

Must be nice to have your own private outhouse. Do all of the campsites have one, or just a few? Notice how there are always put at the top of a hill. It is just too insure those dead of the night trips are a breathless uphill walk praying all the while no one else is inside. :happy:

11. Northern Dancer

At the top of the hill and when it rains... I do have my own private private one too. At Haliburton each camp site has it's own kybo [we use to call it]. Therefore I can clean it and disinfect it accordingly. In my case I put up a few decorations to make it my own.

12. 2sweed

Nice to have the comfort of ones own ( kybo), instead of sharing with the whole campground like most of our campgrounds. They always place them at the top of hills with the tent camping areas right below. So the need to climb a hill to go gets old. But one can always have a port-a-potty in the tent for those late at night urges. Also good because the bears are in the parks at night to raid the garbage cans and dumpsters. Not the best time to get between a bear with cubs, when a need like that demands hurrying to the outhouse. :)

13. Northern Dancer

True - though I do feel a bit safer because all our Provincial and Federal Parks now have the new garbage disposal systems and the bear proof receptacles. The fines are hefty if you violate the rules for not using the same. But as you know not all humans want to obey the law, any law.

When we are in the interior the designated sites have and flat out house - jokingly referred to as thunder box. We carry a toilet seat with the lid for a more comfortable sit and a sense of hygiene. I think that I'm off topic :(!

Anyway - should there be a dangerous electrical storm [We have only had one while we were in the interior - and it was real bad and scary.] that's the place you head for protection. You leave you tent and camp site and go into the forest area - that is where the thunder box is located. You crouch down and take the prepare for storm stance. Thus - the jargon - thunder box
    :happy:.

10dtkbb.jpg A genuine Algonquin Thunder Box.

14. 2sweed

That is a very interesting idea, although since it has no tent around it could be quite a airy and entertaining spot for any onlookers. Not sure I would like that. :)

15. Northern Dancer

These are isolated spots [interior] and there are no others accept your own group. The top faces the back and everyone knows that it is in use. [Our guys announce where they are going - per safety rule number one.] [You don't leave the main camp without telling people where you are going - ever.] It is a short distance away - out of sight but not out of hearing distance if you call [scream] for help.

16. 2sweed

While if your group is all guys then there wouldn't be that privacy issue, but if your camping with a mixture of guys and gals, well us gals would want a bit more privacy then just announcing we are off to the kybo, and hope that no one is watching or following. :shy::shame:

17. Northern Dancer

The few groups that I go with are respectful and thoughtful. Sometimes people have the impression that camping guys are unruly and crude. I suppose some might be... [:wtf:] but we are not.
    We like our privacy too
    :).

18. 2sweed

I am sure your groups are respectable and thoughtful, and as nice as you are, but down here it would be pranksters at work using the unexpected quiet time to embarrasses the poor soul who is just trying to get the "job" done. Although, all in the name of fun, a privacy tent or outhouse is often a necessity. But even then in many parks and campgrounds, and other places the individual doors are removed to prevent damage and for easier cleaning. :arghh:

19. Northern Dancer

I guess I'm really lucky because I have never seen anything like that in our area - certainly not the interior.

20. 2sweed

Not everyone would do that, but those that would might consider it just good fun. I think most folks would respect the rights of others and not be mean. All the same I would want a privacy screen or tent, that protected me from the weather and gave me peace of mind. But that is just me, others might not even care. :happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted