1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Forced Off The Main Trail

Discussion in 'Trails' started by 2sweed, Sep 18, 2013.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Once while out following a main park hiking trail my friends and I came upon a sign telling us the trail up ahead was closed due to trees down. Well we had already walked ten miles and the thought of turning around did not seem like the thing to do, so we took a short cut from point A where we were stopped, to point B, which we figured would help us bypass the maintainance work and keep following the rest of the trail. Well do to the downed trees and rough woodland it took us much longer to reach the trail head, then if we had turned back to go by the way the rangers had suggested.

Have you ever been forced to take a different route in the course of your hiking adventures? Did the route prove to be worth the trip around or was it a waste of time? What would you suggest to another reader on this topic?

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I can't remember any incidents where I've had to take a different route.

To be honest, even if I had read the sign that the trail was closed due to downed trees I would have taken the route anyways. Downed trees? That should be no problem to climb over, under or around ;)

3. whnuien

whnuien Newbie

The same thing happened to me few years ago and my friend and I decided to take a shortcut which caused us to lose our way and ended up at another dead end. So we had to turn back to the other way but it was already dark. We decided to camp in the middle but a heavy rain started so can you imagine two human struggling to put a tent on while the rain was pouring? It was horrible. I was very angry because it was not my idea! We didn't talk much to each other the next day :D it was meant to be a whole day of trekking.

4. 2sweed

Gosh, that must have really ruined an otherwise wonderful ?? camping and hiking experience. Getting lost and having to back track would have been depressing as well. But since your writing about your adventure it seems that in the end you must have made it back home. Thanks for sharing. By the way do you ever run into unwanted creatures when camping out in the jungle?

5. whnuien

whnuien Newbie

As for running into unwanted creatures when camping, this had happened but not exactly in a scary way. I was with a group once and we made a hole on the ground so we can burn our rubbish inside. But at night a wild boar came and dug it all out. It was so loud but none of was were brave enough to come out. We used hammock by the way that time, not a tent. And another day we planned a solo camping which was really fun! When we all went to sleep I placed all my stuff underneath my hammock. I had an opened sardine :D which I did my best to keep it and blocked the smell from coming out. A few hours later I heard a noise of the tin (sardine :D) being dragged. I quickly grabbed my torch to find out what it was and it was a cat bear! I know cat bear is not dangerous so I didn't call out for help :D I just watched it dragging my sardine away.

6. 2sweed

I would have stayed hidden too, i know that boars can be dangerous do to their sharp tusks. Our biggest unwanted creatures are bears that get into dumpsters or break into cars to get food out of coolers. A friend had his truck window broken and the back cover destroyed. So I think my food will be freeze-dried packets and lots of good water. Do you ever see big snakes?

7. whnuien

whnuien Newbie

Ah, I would be too scared for big bears! I've honestly never seen one but my father claimed he did but it was blind and had a baby! I wasn't sure if he was joking with me :D because I wanted to follow him for hunting that night. I've seen many types of snakes but with an averages sizes. Have you tried eating snake by the way? I did :D

I forgot to mention above that another animal my group and I encountered when we were trekking to our camp site was a red ginger coloured orang utan. It was carrying it's baby and passed us very fast that nobody had a chance to take a snap! I thought it was a beautiful experience when the only places I could usually see them are on TV and also rehabilitation center.

8. 2sweed

Yes, I have had rattlesnake when I was in Florida. It is kind of bland, some people think it tastes like chicken, I think it just looks like chicken. :) Did not care much for it, but could eat if I had too. :(
    That would be really cool to see an orangutan. I too have only seen them on tv and in movies. Do you camp in parks or just off the beaten trails?

9. whnuien

whnuien Newbie

Well I always do tell people that the snake's meat taste like chicken! :D but you're right, it only looks like chicken! and it does not actually have a lot of meat, it is like eating chicken's neck where the bones are all about it and you work hard to get much meat out of it :D I camped in areas that are considered park but they are actually a forest reserved. I don't really know how to explain this one. My two favourite places I have ever camped,trekked, and hiked at were Imbak Canyon and Crocker Range. And the place where my friend and I lost and built tent under the rain (above) called Trus Madi. Imbak Canyon always comes out of TV because it is a research center for scientists around the world for many species of plants and animals. I have to get a picture I've taken of it's waterfall later and share it with everybody here.

10. 2sweed

We would love seeing some of your pictures. Waterfalls are a beautiful site. You described eating snake to a tee with the chicken neck picture in my mind. Ugh! But it is correct, lots of bones and very little meat. What types of food do you take with you on your camping trips? :)

11. whnuien

whnuien Newbie

I usually bring crackers, chocolate, bread, canned food (including corn: my favourite) potatoes / sweet potatoes (I cook them by burying them inside the ashes next to the fire :D old way of roasting potatoes), instant noodles, and I always try hard to bring cheese with me every time :D

12. 2sweed

Sounds good. Do you go on very long trips, like several days at a time or just short weekend trips? When young I loved going camping and did so every summer, but now that I am older it is harder to have the free time to do it. Hopefully this summer I will sneak away. :happy:;)

13. whnuien

whnuien Newbie

Yeah I do actually. The longest was 7 days and 6 nights of camping and trekking together. My group and I camped at different places and we trekked a total of 42 kilometers. It was very tiring and some of the participants wanted to give up in the middle of the way especially when we had to hiked a steep hills :D I was quite young that time and I didn't want to cry because I'd rather be trekking than working in the city :D

14. 2sweed

Steep hills do have a way of making hikers wish and hope for flat land, but when you reach the top of the hills the views are usually breath taking. I bet you enjoyed the trip even if some did not. In Pennsylvania, the mountains are steep and the river water is ice cold most of the year, but the air is cleaner and fresher than other areas I lived in. Do you have hot humid weather where you live? :)

15. whnuien

whnuien Newbie

Goodness, it is more than hot and humid at the moment :( the sun is bright enough to close your eyes as early as 6.30 in the morning. And if you were outside around noon then you definitely will feel like walking next to a fire. The temperature should go down in about a month time so I really can't wait. I have hiked during winter in Scotland and I found myself losing my breath faster in a cold weather :D And walking on a snow made me feel like I was walking on a salt or a powder :D that my legs would get tired so fast.

16. 2sweed

It is something you might get used too. Walking in cold weather is hard work, mostly because of the coats and garb needed to stay warm. But I felt better after my second winter here, and the summers rain or shine, you can be out enjoying the day. :)

17. campforums

That does sound horrible, for me camping in the rain is a great way for the trip to ruined FAST! That's why I always check the weather reports obsessively now before embarking on a long distance outdoors activity.

Snake at least seems much easier to prepare than chicken. I have seen videos of people skinning snakes and they basically just rip the meat right out and the skin pretty well stays intact. So if it tastes similar I would prefer to catch one of those than a chicken (not that you see many wild chickens). I guess all those little bones you were talking about might be a bit annoying though.

I would love to see some pictures too!

@whnuien, where do you live? I keep reading your posts about all these interesting trails you go on.

18. whnuien

whnuien Newbie

Oh I really need a time to post some pictures :) I definitely will do very soon.

I live in South East Borneo, Malaysia. Other name is Sabah. My village is about 45 minutes drive from the Mountain Kinabalu which is the highest mountain in South East Asia.

By the way, it is very easy to find wild chicken here and they taste much better than the normal chicken.

19. campforums

Well organic and free range produce is becoming more and more popular so I guess that is the reason why. That must be a real treat.

20. 2sweed

whnulen, Do you use a backpacking tent on your hiking into the jungle. I would suppose that insects would be a problem. Up here mosquitoes are the worst in the evening hours and deer flies are bad in the day time hours.

Draft saved Draft deleted