1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Fording Streams and Rivers When Hiking

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by 2sweed, Jan 19, 2015.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

It is easy to get lax in paying attention when crossing over a swift moving stream or river, and lose your footing. Deep water that due to current conditions remains unseen until too late can cause accidental drownings. Here are a few tips to keep you safe when wading through moving water.

Pay attention to the depth of the water and the rapid current flow.
    Look out for rocks or stumps laying just under the waters surface where a foot could get wedged in.
    Take time to scout out carefully a safe place to cross, like through an eddies, where the current is often reversed in direction.
    Watch out for areas along banks downstream have over hanging branches or trees, or logs, that could catch you and push you underneath the water.
    Choose your foot ware carefully, picking boots that have good traction and may be waterproof.
    Be sure to loosen your hip strap and sternum strap, in the event you are in danger you can remove it easily, and save your self. Packs can fill with water and drag you under water.
    Carry and use a walking stick for added balance and for testing depth of water in crossing.

upload_2015-1-19_21-57-54.jpeg

If you know more tips please add them to my list or offer discussion about water crossing safety.

2. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

You are braver than I am, @2sweed. I don't think that I have usually tried to wade through water where i thought it might be dangerous or the current might be too swift.
    Your suggestions do sound like you know what you are doing though, so you must be very experienced. I have trouble with balance anyway; and I learned early on that the rocks in even a shallow creek can be very slippery. I do usually carry a stck to help with balance (as you can see in my avatar), but now I pretty much avoid any place where I think I might slip and fall.

3. 2sweed

Not so brave just doing a bit of research on wading rivers. But I do admit to loving to wade in small creeks and streams. I used to have good balance but old age tends to rob us of balance unless we use our walking sticks. lol :)

4. happyflowerlady

You are right about that, @2sweed! I always loved wading around in creeks, too. Sometimes we found crawdads hiding under the rocks, and the kids and I had a lot of fun chasing them from rock to rock in the slippery creeks trying to catch the little critters. They were always mad when we did catch one of them, and it was fun holding the crawdad and watching him wave his tiny claws at us angrily. If they got a hold of you on the finger (or anywhere), it sure did hurt though. We didn't keep them, or eat them like some people like to do. For us, it was strictly a "catch and release" kind of sport, and the fun was in the stalking them down and catching them.

5. 2sweed

You bet I did this as a child and then got started just wading the streams looking for fish hidden in the stream beds and under overhangs along the banks. I also enjoyed looking for pretty rocks that sparkled with color when wet, but turned dull when dry. I loved seeing the skating water bugs and often finding other unusual water bugs or ugly mud puppies. The good ole days, now I am happy and content to sit on the bank and watch the fish swim merrily by. How about you?

6. happyflowerlady

I am content to just sit on the bank, @2sweed; but I still like to have my fishing pole and catch a few of those fishes as they go swimming by ! When Robin and I were out fishing this fall, there was a huge brownish fish that swam right up next to the shore, and i was sure wishing that he would try biting on my bait; but he just was cruising through and not eating , I guess.

My friend (who goes by the user name of Hayrake) is an avid camper and fisherman. She and her husband take the horses and go on trail rides all of the time, plus they have kind of a camp area that they like to go to and spend a week or more at a time camping and riding and fishing in the summer. I would love to still be able to do all of the things that she does. She is in a senior forum that I am in, and she was posting some awesome pictures of their trail rides, and one of her husband with a whole pile of nice catfish that he had caught.

But, I think i will not be doing that, and like you said, just enjoying the stream and watching the fish swimming by is still a good thing, too.

7. 2sweed

I wish your friend Hayrake, would come on over and join us. I think she could add some interesting stories about trail rides and camping. I have thought about going fishing again but as you know I am quite tied up at the moment and all new adventures have been put on hold for now. I always liked looking for the hollows in the trees by the streams where that deep thick green moss grows and sometimes bunches of wild violets are found. Or rocky ledges that hang over the deepest pools. What other things did you search for along the winding water ways? :wacky::joyful::rolleyes:

8. happyflowerlady

Hayrake did actually sign up but I think she is still waiting to be verified . I am looking forward to her stories, too, 2Sweed. She is still young enough to go out and trailride, fish, and camp. When I was her age; I was still doing those things, too; now I mostly just do little things like the afternoon hike with Robin.
    I went to Walmart and found myself a sturdy pair of tennis shoes, so I have something better than my sandals for when we go out to the lake again.
    The ground was slippery because it was muddy, plus it was a bad slope, and had tree roots to trip over. My old sandals were totally sliding around on my feet; and trying to turn sideways ; so I realized that I definitely needed some better shoes.
    When we are out, Robin is always finding rocks or something that has a fossil in it, and I enjoy seeing the fossils, too. The big rocks along the side of the quarry have a lot of seashells in them, and little bits of fossila from when the area was a shallow sea at one time.
    I also like to look at interesting little wild plants. The violets are pretty. I have a lot of those in my yard at home, so they are not unusual to see around here, but always pretty nestled in the green undergrowth.

Draft saved Draft deleted