1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Four dead...

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by Northern Dancer, Aug 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Northern Dancer

    Northern Dancer Survivalist

    I just learned about this today.

    A grim reminder about fires in tents and shelters...

    The labels posted on good tents warn people again and again. Carbon monoxide poisoning is another issue. Remember always..."Safety Never Takes a Holiday".

    Four people are now dead after a camping stove lit a tent on fire near Pond Inlet, Nunavut, while a family of six was sleeping inside.

    The family — two adults and four children, aged two to 11 — were camping about a two-hour boat ride west of the community when the fire started at around 7:30 a.m. on Sunday, August. 16th.

    In a news release, Nunavut's coroner confirmed that the father and two other children have since died "as a result of severe burn injuries."

    The two remaining family members are still being treated in Ottawa, where they are "in stable condition."

    The coroner is investigating the incident with the Ontario Coroner Service and the Pond Inlet RCMP. No foul play is suspected.

    "On behalf of the Department of Justice, the Office of the Chief Coroner conveys our deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Pond Inlet community in this tragic situation," the news release read.
  2. ashley0323

    ashley0323 Novice Camper

    This is so sad. Sometimes, no matter how careful we think we are, you can never be too careful, especially when it comes to fires and things of that nature. Its always sad to hear these stories, especially when children are involved. Prayers to the family.
  3. Northern Dancer

    Northern Dancer Survivalist

    This is a sad story and I posted it not for sensationalism but rather as a safety reminder. I use a wood stove in a tent and I'm very cautious how I use it. I'm always surprised the number of people camping and canoeing who don't seem to take safety into account. I remind participants in camping skills classes - Safety Never Takes a Holiday.

    Like your signature/avatar. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page