1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

freeze dried camping foods

Discussion in 'Food' started by TabithaW, Feb 15, 2013.

1. TabithaW

TabithaW Newbie

Does anyone buy and eat those freeze dried backpacking meals? I have always been fascinated by them. My husband laughs at me every time we go somewhere like REI because I have to look through the freeze dried food section. Mountain House is one of the brands I see a lot. The packs say they feed 2 people. Do they? Freeze dried cheese enchiladas? I am just curious if anyone has had experience actually eating any of these.

2. Fitness

Fitness Newbie

My girlfriend and I had them on our last trip for the first time. We were very happily shocked. I normally stick with ramen and nutrition bars when I am by myself, but thought it would be a good time to try some. So we found a good deal on a variety pack from Backpacker's Pantry. They were really good and full of flavor. Some required more than just adding water, but most were just add boiling water. If you want I can go more in depth, just ask.
    As for serving 2 people, it just depends on how much you are used to eating. The packs we had were a good size, but wouldn't sufficiently feed the both of us after an active day out hiking and shooting(photography).

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I looked up that brand Backpacker's Pantry and some of the things on their website look quite tasty, I can't believe it came from dried food. Which one did you like the best (they seem to have quite a few)?

I like look of their "Louisiana Red Beans & Rice" :D

4. Fitness

Fitness Newbie

Two of my favorite meals were Jamaican Style Jerk Rice with Chicken and Mexican Rice with Beef. Both were the simple kind just add boiling water, stir and let sit. I was shocked at the deserts and how good they were for freeze dried. The Cheesecake and Mocha Mousse Pie were really good.
    If you are camping and have a skillet with you the breakfast egg ones were good, but a lot more work. You actually had to cook those. They turned out great, but spending the extra time in the morning for me is not always possible.
    I just looked at the Louisiana Red Beans & Rice online and it does look good. Might have to get some for my next trip!

5. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

I have tried some and they were pretty good but overall rather expensive. There are easier ways to have packable food but the stuff I would like may not appeal to others. I like peanut butter flavored protein bars, jerky, nuts and gummi vitamins.

6. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Protein bars are good but also rather expensive, the ones I've seen are like $3 to $4 for what is basically a granola bar with some whey protein added.

7. Angelle

Angelle Newbie

I have never tried Mountain house products but it seems like a good idea, and it also looks tasty. I am going on a camping trip soon, and I have been trying to find different foods that people take with them on these trips. I have found one article that stated that one should hunt or go fishing for their dinner. I thought that was a great idea because I love to execute adventurous things. The only problem is that my friends wouldn't want to do that. So, I think I will go with your idea, and purchase mountain house product. They look delicious but I am hoping that they taste the way that they look.

8. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I have used Mountain house products on several short camping trips. I like them due to the fact they are very light weight and also tasty. The scrambled eggs with ham is a good choice, as well as, granola and blueberries, for breakfast. For lunch I usually ate fresh fruit and walnuts, and my supper I enjoyed the beef stew or chili, or sweet & sour pork w/ rice.

I keep a supply of the meals on hand in case of an emergency where the power is out, as all I need to do is add hot water and give it time to regenerate into an edible food state. I don't think they are all that expensive when you consider all the added weight of extra cookware that would need to be brought along for cooking other meals. Plus, the added fact that the bears can not smell this type of food, as well as, fresh foods.

Draft saved Draft deleted