1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Fresh Feral Foraging!

Discussion in 'Food' started by Junkbots, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Junkbots

Junkbots Newbie

I see lots of camp-food threads but, for the more adventurous among us, I'd like to discuss wild edibles. Lets talk about the varieties of vegetation native to our areas. I see this thread as a chance to familiarize ourselves with each other via discussion of our general locations and an opportunity to sharpen our knowledge of various species of edible flora! :D

Here in Michigan, we've got ample resources for the minimalist camper. Fresh water abounds and viable camping forests sprawl between the shores of our great lakes. With a little know-how, a savvy camper can locate wild sustenance where ever she/he may be. Some varieties include:

- The aquatic-thriving Duck Weed (Spirodela spp.) must be boiled before consumption to kill waterborne parasites. Leaves of this plant are high in protein.

- Common to shady wooded areas are the Ramps - Wild Leeks (Allium tricoccum). Bulbs of the Wild Leek are edible year-round and are beleived to reduce blood pressure.

- Wintergreen (Gaultheria procumbens) is often brewed into tea and may treat headaches and some aches throughout the body of the imbiber. Methyl Salicylate, the cornerstone of aspirin, is found in these red berries.

What edible plants are common to your area? How should you prepare them should they need to be cooked or sterilized? Have you found any specific plant to have unexpected medicinal applications?

Draft saved Draft deleted