1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

From an AMATEUR to a PRO

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by Northern Dancer, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Camping is meant to be fun, right?
    I remember a time when is wasn't fun - not at all. But I persevered until I could boast that I was a pro. When I say pro I'm not suggesting perfection or having all the skills that I need -there is something new to learn everyday. BUT, I have learned a lot.

upload_2016-10-11_21-41-32.png

Here are some of the things that I did as an AMATEUR

I DIDN'T DO ANY RESEARCH INTO ANYTHING
    I didn't think about equipment that I might need, where I was going, what I might expect or even consider the weather. I loaded what I had into the car an off I went. Now that is real dumb adventure folks.

I DIDN'T TRY ANY OF THE EQUIPMENT BEFORE LEAVING HOME

It never occurred to me that my tent may leak, there were not enough guy lines; and what was that funny thing that looks a bit like an umbrella? What was that for? Oh...ya...the stove - it was brand new and damaged.

I RELIED ON A CAMPFIRE
    How did I know that there was a fire ban? No one told me that it rained for three days before I got to the camp site. What do you mean I can't bring wood into the park?

CHEAP GOODS INSTEAD OF QUALITY
    If it came from "Ally's" it had to be good stuff right? Wrong! You get what you pay for in the camping industry. Notice how the camp supply people stay away from the everyday stores? That's because they are everyday.

BUYING A LOT OF STUFF

We all do - buy stuff. That's what wanna be camping pros do - buy lots of stuff - most of which is cheap and useless. And then there is all that food - as if the world might come to an end when we are away. Really, come on now - do you actually have that kind of breakfast at home?

A CHEAP SLEEPING BAG IS ALWAYS A GOOD BUY
    Did you look at the size? How wide is it and how long is it. Nothing like being six five and getting into a sleeping bag designed for a five six. How warm is it? Whaaaaaat? You thought it was going to be 22C [72F] and it's really what? Lumpy you say? I didn't know that it doesn't come with a comfort pad.

LIGHTING

I had one of those real cheap flash lights that I got on sale. Yep...it faded and guess what? It hadn't occurred to me to bring batteries. Do not underestimate the importance of lighting.

FOOD AND GARBAGE ACCESSIBILITY
    I didn't see any animals around so putting away the peanut butter wasn't really all that important anyway - I mean, we just have to take it out the pack again in the morning.

ARRIVING LATE [AT NIGHT]
    Don't get me started.

I look back on those days of yesteryear and I'm sooooooo glad they are behind me.

upload_2016-10-11_22-10-58.jpeg Gotta go now. SAY...do you remember your Amateur days?
    Luv to hear about your experiences. Can you add to the list?

killeroy154 likes this.
  2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Ok I'll jump in this one. Glad y'all don't know who I am.

I remember my first camp fire that I had to start. I was sure glad no one was around either. The wood was a little damp, and I was slightly inexperienced. So I had a piece of plastic from a milk jug, and I shoved it under the wood, and lit it with the ole "Billy Bob's Barbecue" paper matches I got at the restaurant up the road. The plastic burned realy good, but nothing else happened. I cut another piece of plastic and this time I lit it, and held it over the wood pile, and let the flaming balls of plastic drop on to the wood pile. Phrrssst Phrrssst ya know it had this sizzling hissing sound and looked like little falling stars. Any how, feeling frustrated and at a loss of what to do, I got the can of coleman fuel out and poured a generous cup or so on the wood pile. I knew it would evaporate quickly, so I set the fuel can down quickly and struck a paper match. Wow what blast! I'm sure it was a pretty ball of fire when that white gas flamed up, but maybe at 40 or 50 feet away instead of the 5 or 6 feet from where I stood. I realy wasn't thinking of being a Darling Award runner-up I guess it comes natural to me. I still remember the smell of singed hair while I tried to sleep that night.

Yep I learned alot since those days. Now I carry a self igniting torch and some of those matches that burn for about a minute or so. Oh and now instead of the stove that burns white gas, I have one of those new fancy ones that use the propane/butane mix and is safely sealed in a pressurized can. Hard to start a fire with one of those..... I think.

3. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

4. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

upload_2016-10-20_10-4-6.jpeg

...your experience reminded me of the first time I cooked beans. Simple - just put that can just to the right of the open flame and wait for whatever time you think there cooked right?

That should do it. Grabbed that hot can with my bare hands...ouch...ouch - hot, hot, really hot. Okay, okay. Let me see - oh ya, the can opener. Get to the rim, apply a little pressure to open the can and WHOOSH, the can exploded and beans covered the entire campsite like the cinders of an exploding roman candle falling from the sky. :bag: Some of that molten sauce hit my ankle and immediately there was a blister the size of ping pong ball - and hurt? :banghead:

The guys called me "beanie" for the next few days. :(

5. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Ok you win. I don't understand how the human race never became extinct.

6. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

God has to find us amusing. Right? I mean if I could have created some life form that is supposed to be wise and companionable, and then see the stupid things we do. I would have wiped us out and started over.

Draft saved Draft deleted