1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Fun with Gadgets

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Northern Dancer, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

It's time to revisit the Camp Gadget Department...
    Share your fun ideas with Camp Babblers!

Here is a start - hope to see your ideas online real soon. :)

86.jpg

2sweed likes this.
  2. missyify

missyify Survivalist

I saw where someone did something similar but made it rocks stove style with 2 cans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

That's real neat, I have seen a lot of tricks like that that involve using a can of some sort for cooking. They are pretty clever but I don't know, usually on my trips I have either a BBQ or a firepit just sitting there waiting to be used and no big cans (I usually empty them for packing) and bring only what I need.

4. Northern Dancer

I actually use this one - though I use rope instead of a belt.

camping-diy-ideas-howtos-lifehacks-1.jpg

5. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I found this handy idea for making a bed out of logs and rope. Looks like it would be comfortable. Tell me if it fits in, not to big for your gadget page, @Northern Dancer.

Northern Dancer likes this.
  6. missyify

missyify Survivalist

My mom made a rope bed for her truck and it's super comfortable.

7. campforums

Like a hammock you mean?

8. missyify

missyify Survivalist

Basically the same thing as a rope hammock, yeah. It's a wooden rectangular frame and we tied rope to it. She has a foam mat on top of it.

9. scrapper

scrapper Novice Camper

You know, you can also cut off just a portion of a layer of the can sideways and create a makeshift candle lantern with it, the can layer will protect the wax lantern from losing the flame.

10. Northern Dancer

I've made those lanterns too but I especially enjoy making a small wood stove for cooking - sure a lot cheaper than anything you can purchase at the big box store.

11. campforums

Interesting, sounds like an improved hammock. The thing with hammocks is that since it is only held in place at the ends it tends to fold up around the edges but having a rectangular frame sounds like it would fix that.

Draft saved Draft deleted