1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Garden of the Gods, Lanai USA

Discussion in 'United States' started by JoshPosh, Nov 2, 2014.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

Alright, for all you hardcore hikers that want a challenge. This hike is going to take you the whole day. You are going to hike from the main city, to your first destination, Garden of the Gods. A area for its natural rock formation. Looks interesting. It will take you about 3 to 4 hours to get to this place on foot.

Historic-Places-of-lanai.jpg
    garden-of-the-gods1.jpg

After this you can chose 2 different paths to take. Left or right. There are different camp site both will lead you to the beach so don't worry about getting lost. There's only two landmarks to remember, THE MOUNTAIN AND THE SEA. If you get lost, then somethings wrong with you.

The ocean is in the background. So is the island of Molokai.
    four-seasons-resort-lana.jpg

If you stay on course it will lead you to one of two shipwrecks on the island coast. Most people think there's only one. But locals know that there is two. You need to take the road to the left.
    lanai-shipwreck.jpg

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

It is hard to believe that that rocky, desert-like terrain is part of Hawaii. I really like the look of that marker with the engravings on the rock, it really adds to the atmosphere when the caretakers of the site decide to do something special and unique like that instead of simply using a generic painted steel sign. I imagine that you might have some trouble staking a tent in that environment though, it looks very rocky but at least you'll be someplace warm and have a nice view :p

3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

On the main island of Hawaii (the big island), there is snow on the mountain top of Mauna Kea. You can be at the snow top in the morning and be at sea level by lunch time. No joke. I think mass media in general has stereotyped hawaii in general. They only show you the beach lifestyle.

Mauna_Kea_observatory.jpg

4. campforums

It doesn't look like enough snow for skiing. Interesting nonetheless though, I didn't think there was mountain ranges that high.

That picture reminds me a lot of cloud city for some reason...

cloud_city__bespin_by_tk769-d5t696r.jpg

5. JessiFox

JessiFox Novice Camper

Wow...sounds like a fairly intense effort but what a gorgeous reward for it. I'm also a big fan of it being more or less impossibly to get lost or screw it up, as my internal GPS never seemed to develop entirely ;).

6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

I don't see how you can miss the ocean. It can only be on one side of you. The mountain will be on the opposite side. If you get lost and want to go back to the main city. Head towards the mountain (high grounds). If you want to get to the camp site, heads toward the ocean. Real simple

7. campforums

That does sound simple, what happens if you somehow get onto the other side of the mountain range though? Then that won't work and you'll be completely lost

8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

Then head for the mountain top again (high grounds) and look for civilization I guess. That's a lot of tracking to do just to get out of a pickle.

Draft saved Draft deleted