1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Gas Camping Stove

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Camp6, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Camp6

Camp6 Novice Camper

Do you usually carry a gas stove whenever you go out camping? I have the MSR PocketRocket Camping stove that I bought in 2013. It is compact and very lightweight. It only takes me few minutes to cook or boil water. Camping stoves are not expensive and you can get one for less than $50.

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

The type of camping I do doesn't require back packing or portages, so I take my old coleman double burner. If I was going to backpack camp or portage to other lakes, then by all means I would leave the coleman stove home. The pocket rocket that you mentioned would be my first choice.

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Last time I was camping there was a lot of people and a small fire pit so we ended up cooking on both simultaneously to speed things up. Gas stoves do have a lot of advantages but I prefer the fire personally.

killeroy154 likes this.
  4. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I do agree. Nothing beats cooking over an open fire.

5. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I've been toying with the idea of purchasing a solo camp stove. Though I'm resisting the same as I look on the shelf and see all the stoves I've made and have in my inventory. :(

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-5G-pzTiFhNiaeM0Fc7JbjxzDacOF6DBE-HB3xSSAv47LknWltw.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkN8SoXV6ApbeMz_x_tdIs11CZT6KTsPk9woGUxfEERoLz4Mqp.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQezF3lbtu7pPbrAW3QUq3r3cx7iRWQ2WdSiegGFoTw3pvo0LuP.jpg

The solo stove uses twigs and such found on the ground. You can get an alcohol mini stove that fits inside the top. The reviews have been excellent. I've made a similar stove out of tin cans. It all packs down to fit a pack.

6. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

My husband likes his gas Coleman stove with a burner/griddle combo. He usually cooks all the meals on it. If it is pouring rain or really cold, we use the propane three burner stovetop in the travel trailer.

I always bring my little Biolite stove, too, and a bag of treated wood chips in case there are no twigs/branches at the site. Easy to start and it is a clean burning stove. I like to use it outside throughout the day to boil water for tea. I use it at night for ambiance. When I solo tent camp, I cook with it.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  7. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

The Biolite stove has been popular of recent date - that's another stove I haven't purchased. :(

Let me see now - I do have :)

One - Gas Coleman - two burner
    One - Propane Coleman - two burner
    Two - Propane Cylinder Broadstone - one burner
    One - Gas Primus Backpacker - one burner (I like this one for back packing - you can purchase three different sizes of fuel cans.)
    One - Camp Chef Oven/Stove - two burner
    Six - Home made wood stoves - one burner each
    Four - Open fire grills

Gave away the Coleman separate oven and some other stuff [no more room on the shelve].

upload_2016-2-13_10-26-2.jpeg
    I lucked out - I got this Camp Chef for $150.00 at Costco. Certainly a base camp item.

Draft saved Draft deleted