1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Geocaching!

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by b.williams127, Jan 13, 2013.

?

Have you tried Geocaching before?

1. Yes

42.9%
  2. No

28.6%
  3. I am going to!

28.6%
  1. Hi,
    I believe that geocaching is one of the best activities to do whilst your camping. It allows you to see much more of the world around you.

Geocaching is technically a sport. It is basically a global treasure hunting game where people hide boxes of goodies and a log in very interesting places. You have to try and hunt for these boxes, exchange goodies and sign the log books.

What I find the most amazing about geocaching is where it takes you. Because people like to hide these caches in wonderful places, when you go to find them, you will visit these beautiful locations. The kids also love geocaching.

To take you to the location of the geocache, you can use an iPhone or a GPS unit. Let me know below if you have tried geocaching before, or if you are going to have a go!

If you want to find out more about geocaching, then you can visit this link: http://www.geocaching.com/guide/

Official geocaching website : http://www.geocaching.com/

2. charity

charity Newbie

I have never heard of geocaching before. It sounds very interesting and like a lot of fun.

3. TABL

TABL Explorer

I voted "I'm going to"... my sons have done it with Scouts. It looks very fun. We've thought about doing it, even researched it, but that's as far as it went.

4. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I've never done so, but then again I have to admit I'm a bit antisocial. So ... why would you do this in the first place I wonder?

5. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

I haven't done it before.

One of my favorite bloggers ended up getting really into geocaching, though, and that's all she ever talks about now....when she's not out geocaching and is actually around to write or talk, that is, ha!

I like the idea, but it just feels like it's really time consuming to me, so I don't know that I'll ever get into it.

6. Yeah, you should totally give it a go :huh: I'm a geek so it is a little hard to get outdoors and active sometimes, but this really helps!!!

7. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

What kind of GPS do you use? Like a car one with maps and everything or one of those old school ones that just shows the coordinates?

8. You use one with coords!!!

9. TABL

TABL Explorer

We have a TomTom, can you use that? Charge it up and go?

10. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

You might want to be careful with that - Tom isn't the most reliable fella if you know what I mean. Might just lead you off of a waterfall or some such.

11. shylambert

shylambert Newbie

Sounds like fun but considering the technology needed I don't think many people in my country can enjoy this. I guess only adults can enjoy this game and we seldom go camping. I guess the kids would stick to the traditional treasure hunting game.

12. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Whoever voted yes in the poll, have you ever found anything good in your searching?

13. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

I think my wife and I will get into this but likely after retirement. The investment is not high nd you can even do it through most smart phones. I think it would be really fun to find the caches and also leave some new ones.

14. TabithaW

TabithaW Newbie

We love geocaching. We don't do it very often but when we do, we get obsessed with it and will do 10 in a day. We enjoy it in the city too. It's fun sneaking around crowded places trying to go unnoticed and not look like too much of a nut.:p

Draft saved Draft deleted