1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Girl born with HIV cured

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by campforums, Mar 5, 2013.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

This is really quite amazing, I can only imagine how happy the parents must be and eventually the girl herself when she gets older and realizes what could have happened. This is the first time anything like this has happened, so it is quite remarkable. The doctors are saying that it is probably because they began treatment when she was so young because they knew the mother was HIV positive.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/03/health/hiv-toddler-cured/index.html

2. shaneparkins

shaneparkins Newbie

I remember reading this, the parent never knew she had it until she was born? It really is good that the doctor acted so quickly. The reason, I am led to believe is due to them treating it from birth is the HIV virus never had time to find it's way into cavities, leaving it exposed for the antivirus.

Great story and hopefully inspiration for anyone with this terrible disease.

3. lindsay365

lindsay365 Newbie

I call this a miracle. How could it happen that a new born would be healed while adults have gone through numerous tests but failed? It is really a break through in the fight against HIV/AIDs. Doctors are actually more optimistic to see that their efforts are not futile. When that kid grows, she will live as an example that she was the first person to be healed of HIV. I think she is going to be famous irrespective of what she does

4. CampAllDay

CampAllDay Newbie

That's pretty crazy, i heard about this a day ago. It brought a lot of outrage and happiness.

Could it be possible that this can help other people who are infected? If so then this will be great for the future.

5. Kementarri

Kementarri Newbie

Wow, this is truly amazing. I would definitely agree that it is more than likely because they treated her at an incredibly young age... I think that with HIV once it is able to settle into your body, it's pretty much incurable - although if treatments like this can be altered to help others out who are older... then we just might have an amazing cure on our hands.

Thank you for sharing!

Draft saved Draft deleted