1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Glass Floats

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by JoshPosh, Nov 17, 2014.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

These guys were once used by Japanese fishermen to make their nets float on water. They are found on Hawaii's beach because because eventually all trash will end up on the beach somewhere.

It is a popular item to find and keep. So here it is. It is also known in Hawaii as "glass balls".

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYu7pu8WI5bNplIa1oIbmNe6n0R3Fk-wU3xZ7huhE51A6ma_po.jpg 29c9886ebbd2760f2e46e5bd7817bd7d.jpg

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

The look like Christmas tree decorations, or light bulbs. I'm surprised that enough of them make it to Hawaii all the way from Japan that they have become popular to collect.

3. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

I am surprised that they are not broken, you would thinking all that time in the ocean would have its toll on them.

This just makes me realize just how small the world really is.

4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

Those are just small ones. They also come in bigger sizes. Bigger than a basketball. Everything washed up in Hawaii. The hub and spoke of the Pacific Ocean. You can find all sort of trash material that has foreign language characters on it. Sometimes even huge Matson containers wash up on the beaches. Now where the hell did that come from?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUt4idqLI-avZmpRw8XfOe_tPw1jEq6t6W_4eQFqXyLX39Ggki8A.jpg

5. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Yeah man, for sure. I would guess that there would still be a lot of corrosion from the salt water and waves eroding the surface.

That's insane, I guess it must've fallen off one of those huge freight ships. It doesn't instill confidence that things aren't more securely fastened to the ship. But then again if you've ever seen how high they load those things up, it probably isn't much of a surprise that some of them get knocked off during rough voyages.

Draft saved Draft deleted