1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

"Gourmet" camping foods

Discussion in 'Food' started by Jessi, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

img_1860.jpg
    Source: http://theadventurebeginsblog.com/2013/07/14/camping-food-series-campfire-baked-pasta/

Okay, so it's not really gourmet, but that sure as heck beats pork 'n' beans from a camp, right?!

I never really thought to bring foods like this while camping, but it's making me reconsider what types of foods I should include in my pack. I wouldn't do this for just a one or two night trip, but if I were camping for a week or something? This would really break up the monotony!

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I have a can cooker junior and there is nothing more gourmet than fresh cut up potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, sweet peppers, corn on the cob, seasoning, and chicken breast cooked to a scrumptious level. Simple, fast and a whole lot of good eaten. ...can feed a small group really quickly. :)

np0sut.jpg 2a8opae.jpg

IT TASTES MIGHTY FINE....

3. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Oh, but you two are making me so hungry and it is 12:00 midnight. Not the time to be eating a snack. Jessi that mixture of spagetti and fresh veggies and cheese, and then Northern Dancer throws in his two cents with potatoes and carrots, onion and peppers, corn and chicken, and good seasonings to boot, it's just to much. All I can say is share more recipes, yum!! :hungry::hungry::joyful::joyful:

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

The hard part about bringing pasta on camping trip is usually not the pasta itself but making a tasty sauce to go with it

5. Northern Dancer

How true - but then there are so many excellent sauces in the market place - one for every occasion and situation. I like the ones pictured. Though I am not really a vegetarian these packages are exceptional and very tasty. More than that, the package can provide a lot of sauce and does not need to be refirgerated. The product is made by Hothuck's Canada and can be bought at MEC. All it takes is 3/4 Cup of water [180 ml].

A creation such as this can be found just about anywhere by other manufacturers in your own community.

Can you imagine what our fore-bearers would think if they saw the incredible food stuffs and equipment that we have available to us today? Sam Steele wouldn't have been able to stop the hordes of gold diggers headed for the Yukon Territory in is day if they had all this stuff.

14v2o1c.jpg 2960x8p.jpg No one has ever complained when I used these products.

1622oo4.jpg
    More UBI [Useless Bit of Information]
    Thousands of men headed for the Gold Fields of the Yukon via the Chilkoot Pass. Ill equipped for the conditions they met many perished because of poor planning. Colonel Sam Steele of the North West Mounted Police had his men turn back thousands of ill equipped men to protect them.

6. 2sweed

Interesting bit of history. What brand of food is this, and also where did you find your Cancooker Pot?

7. Northern Dancer

It's Hothucks Canada [they make a whole line of products] though I'm sure that there would be similar goods in the U.S.
    I got my CanCookerJr from Cabela's.
    It's just a bit different from using my Dutch Oven. The "Dutch" can do a lot more but the cooker can do a hearty meal in quick time - tasty too. :)

8. 2sweed

Thanks I just received my Cabela's Camping catalog and have been marking items i need. I will look for this pot there. Looks like it would be handy for plenty of cooking duties.

9. Northern Dancer

You are welcome. I haven't received my catalogue yet. BUT...even when I get it I promised that I would not purchase anything - I've just got to cut down on my spending.

10. davbonpol13

davbonpol13 Newbie

Wow that looks great! I want to have this at home lol! But seriouosly, I will be checking your blog for recipes for our camping trips, which we love to take as often as possible. I will wow my husband wth this pasta recipe very soon. We are newlyweds and I have noticed that the way to his heart is through his stomach for sure!

11. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

That looks great! And I don't trust it at all. That is just asking for someone to get an upset stomach and ruin the trip. I know... it's happened before. And that is reason 1324 why I prefer taking trips by myself.

12. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Did you ever end up getting a pot? Normally I wouldn't say it is very hard to find a pot, most places you go to will have dozens of different ones but finding one that is the right size, not too heavy and affordable can be tricky sometimes.

Congratulations! Hey, I wouldn't complain about anyone who wants to cook for me either!! :angelic:

What makes you say that? Pasta is generally not too bad for people with sensitive stomachs even if the person preparing it is not a great chef. The other ingredients are all vegetables so you shouldn't have any problems there either. The issues start to come around when you have meat or eggs or cheese... Things that can go rancid.

davbonpol13 likes this.
  13. davbonpol13

davbonpol13 Newbie

My husband likes to do most of the cooking while we are camping. He likes to show off his survival skills,lol. I just love that man!

Draft saved Draft deleted