1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Hand powered flashlight

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Zyni, Oct 10, 2014.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I am kinda OCD myself so I can imagine your setup perfectly. I think you are probably better organized than a lot of small shops, haha.

Very interesting, I know @Northern Dancer has mentioned that solar cells have worked well for him on multiple occasions but I am really intrigued by you building something yourself. How much progress on the wind turbine have you made so far? Did you use any pre-made parts or are you doing everything all the way down to wrapping the copper coils and cutting the fan blades? If you like, feel free to start a new discussion on it and we talk about it some more.

2. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

I use a gas lantern, works well

3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I've used kerosene lanterns because they are a lot quieter, though I do have a power gas [four season] type. There are especially great for winter camping as they provide some immediate heat in the tent when you are starting up. But like I said, there are all kinds of options today including home made ones. I'm sure you have seen this lantern idea -

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRV1UIXh_YmQybSInq4eXm7JAOMbGhVQ-VhYmWoUlIefcsBtmIrlw.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReQ-EQBXCQiqXhpGLSqGBp8ROelTt75mQJs35cEb0jJqmZrHUG.jpg

This is a great light

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. campforums

That's for light or heat? You are a bit old school, aren't you?

You don't like the sound of the gas burning? Personally I enjoy it and find it soothing.

5. Northern Dancer

My gas lantern is really for lighting purposes but surprisingly it produces a lot of natural heat too. I had a large Coleman propane lantern and gave it away because it took up to much space. [Noisy] I'll use the small gas lantern in the tent in the winter because it is just like having a regular light bulb. I don't use it inside in the summer because it just contributes to the heat.

I've experimented with some other stuff - but only for fun. Light the water jug, filled with water, and have head light attached around it as shown above. Gives some good light - but it is a novelty.

This is my inventory [used for what ever circumstance deemed necessary].

FOR CAMP AND TENT LIGHTING
    • Eight hour burning tea lights that accommodate a variety of holders.
    • 1 hanging candle light in case
    • 3 homemade lamp stands that accommodate the round lights [purchased at Dollar Store]
    • 2 large round lights that attach to a centre pole [made for outdoor patio shade umbrellas]
    • Goal Zero [escape 150 model] solar lights that can be used inside or outside
    • 4 different Kerosene Lamps
    • PERSONAL - depending what I'm doing
    • 1 bright long range hand held flashlight [with shoulder case]
    • 2 bright long range head lights
    • 1 small bright back up flashlight
    • 1 red emergency light that is attached to a pack
    • 1 solar flash light

:bear: Even if you didn't ask I bet you are sorry that you asked????

6. BMWPOWER

both, but I always had one of those million power candlelight spotlights. That thing was insane, it would make night into day.

7. Northern Dancer

I had one of those million candlelight spot lights - yep, I gave that pain in the neck away too. Among other issues it was to bulky and I learned that a good headlight was far more effective and practical.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  8. campforums

Lol, it looks like this topic has become about types of light powered in all manners except hand cranking

9. Northern Dancer

There are people who tell me that I can get side tracked, mainly students. :(

campforums likes this.
  10. Northern Dancer

images (9).jpeg images (8).jpeg images (7).jpeg

They all look keen and neat....I just can't be bothered.

11. BMWPOWER

I have a couple of those miners lights that you strap onto your head, those things are so useful if you want hands free operation.

015286174970lg.jpg

Back on topic, I think a hand cracked flashlight is a really good thing to have for emergencies. what if you run out of batteries? no problem

12. campforums

But then the question becomes, what should I pack... Spare batteries or a hand crank flashlight?

13. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

I am a fan of the Eton Red Cross series of hand cranked flashlights that that they carried a few years back. I was sorry they discontinued them. The Road Torq roadside flashlight was exceptionally bright.

14. Northern Dancer

I make sure that I have spare batteries including camera batteries.

15. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

Outside in my yard, I have solar powered colored lanterns. I have pink ones and blue ones. They are round when they are open; but then you take them down or move them, they just fold up into a flat disk. They would actually be easy to carry along because they fold up so flat, but they do not put out much light because they are colored, they just look pretty (which is actually why I bought them).

However, I found this neat little square one that also folds flat, and it has a larger solar panel, so it would probably store more energy and shine brighter than mine do. I have a little radio with a hand crank and it also has a flashlight; but you have to do a lot of cranking to keep it running.

http://www.campist.com/archives/soul-cell-solar-powered-lantern.html

Northern Dancer likes this.
  16. Northern Dancer

Great @happyflowerlady isn't it amazing what they keep coming out with? I have a goal zero power pack (150 Boulder Adventurer power pack) that I use primarily for lighting at base camp. A bit of a novelty I suppose, but it does give a lot of light. (You can use it to power small appliances, phones, lab top etc.) I have a goal zero flash light too that is powered entirely from the sun.

For decoration I have those automatic candles that I put inside a kerosene lantern. They come on at 9 P.M. and turn themselves off again at 1 A.M. The batteries will last the whole summer and longer. Not a lot of light of course but really great for amorous look.

upload_2015-8-4_19-14-39.jpeg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR82oGiPpLM312ABNum3bZaothQ5BYBot0lYe-XYCKcZ6WQJWjvjQ.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSz-seICIqnjsCsBPWweq6D92KTSeVQ0kdzdtF_64l45torq57acw.jpg
    I had two lanterns similar to the ones shown - I took out the wicks and put in the two automatic on/off candles - about $6.00 each at Walmart (in our neck of the woods). I bought a couple of those plant posts from Dollar star and they look great. I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it.

When I'm out [coming this weekend] I use the headlight - it actually provides that level of lighting. It also has a read flair light one can use - you can see clearly in the dark but it doesn't attract bugs.

happyflowerlady likes this.
  17. campforums

We have similar ones, they look like regular garden lights except instead of being connected with wires on the tops there are little mini solar panels which charge the lights during the day so that they can turn on during the night.

happyflowerlady likes this.
  18. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

My daughter has one of those Goal Zero setups, too. she often goes out exploring in the woods on the arsenal, and uses the powerpac to keep her gadgets running. She also takes it along when she is in the car and needs an extra power pack for something.
    As for the little headlamps, those are awesome ! I have only ever had a cheapie one from Harbor Frieght Tools; but I used to wear it every noght when i came home from work in the dark and had to be outside feeding the horses and doing outside evening chores. It left my hands free and was always ppoinging where I wanted light to be shining. I loved it, and always kept the batteries charged and ready to go in case I had to go outside for a nighttime emergency.

19. Northern Dancer

20. campforums

A quote from the article...

SO Sooo true, not just for flashlights but for things in general. Manufacturers will always use the most inflated specs ever.

One of the best examples I can think of is computer memory. You may have noticed that when you buy say an 8 GB memory card and put it in your computer it only gives you ~7.4 GB. Memory manufacturers intentionally use a system of units that differs from what your computer actually works with so that they can advertise a larger number.

Draft saved Draft deleted