1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Have you ever seen a flying squirrel?

Discussion in 'Nature' started by happyflowerlady, Mar 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

Flying squirrels are totally amazing ! ! I have heard of them before, but I am pretty sure that we don't have any of them around this area.
    I found this amazing video of one, and it is totally awesome what this little squirrel is capable of, and he just makes it look so easy.
    If you have never seen one before when you were out in the woods, you will now know what a flying squirrel looks like and can maybe spot one.

2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I watched the video and thought it was very cute. Yes I have seen flying squirrels and found their ability to use the extra flap of skin between their front and back legs, that gives them the ability to glide effortlessly somewhat amazing. They are cute and funny. Sorry I did not post sooner but had my eye surgery and everything was a bit blurry. Makes it hard to hit the right keys. LOL

3. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

Glad that you are doing better after the surgery, 2Sweed. At least at this time of year, it is not like summer when we want to be outside a lot more.
    Speaking of summer, it was 77 here today, and i have been out working in the yard the last couple of days, and even got some new irises planted. Is it warming up for you now, too , or not yet ?

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Haha, funny video.

How did they get the squirrel to do that though? I'm trying to figure out if it is a fake squirrel, I find it hard to believe you could train a squirrel to do that.

5. mett1982

mett1982 Novice Camper

I have never seen one in person but my dad lives out in the woods. He has one of those motion cameras you strap to a tree. He likes to see what kind of animals come around a night. He leaves food for them and everything. He shows me these pictures when I go to visit him. There are deer, rabbits and then I was like what's that thing. He tells me it's a flying squirrel. He actually caught a picture of one in mid flight. It was really cool to see.

6. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Thanks for sharing, that's pretty interesting I had never heard of motion sensor cameras in the woods before but it sounds like a great idea. I'm sure your dad has gotten some great footage that way. Is it videos also or just photos?

7. Camp6

Camp6 Novice Camper

This is the real flying squirrel. They don't really fly but they glide from one tree to another. They do so with the help of a patagium that stretches from wrist to ankle. Their long tail provides stability while they glide. They usually eat fruits, buds, fungi, flowers, seeds, insects, spiders and tree sap.

Squirrel.jpg

8. SashaS

SashaS Novice Camper

I haven't seen one in real life myself as I doubt there are any where I live, but they are definitely fascinating little creatures. I can just imagine how hilarious it must be sitting in the woods somewhere and then seeing a squirrel fly past like its normal. They live quite short lives, about 4 to 5 years in the wild. The babies are born hairless and blind. Their ears are closed and strangely, their toes are fused, this only changes after about a week and their eyes only open after a month. They can also make 180 degree turns while flying. Surprisingly, there are 44 different species!

9. GenevB

GenevB Newbie

I have to admit that you got me there, I was already imagining a squirrel which has wings and how come I never heard of them before, only after I've gave it a second thought I realized that there are squirrel who can float on the waves of the wind. No, I don't think I've ever seen one like that, in fact I haven't seen to many squirrels in my entire life, also I do not think those kind of squirrels live in my country or anywhere near.

Draft saved Draft deleted