1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Have you ever used a pack mule?

Discussion in 'Trails' started by Onatah, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Onatah

Onatah Novice Camper

We enjoy trail riding as well as hunting trips. Both scenarios would lend themselves well to using a pack mule. We don't own a mule but I do have my 'love burro' as I affectionately refer to our BLM burro, Zen. Zen's job is only to look cute and give love. I say she's a herd guardian (as burros are known to excel) but she's never had occasion to prove herself on this.

I would love to buy her a pack and get her started. It would be handy, yes. But I do confess to selfishly just wanting a reason to take my lil' love burro with me.

Hard to believe she was wild caught when she was 5 years old (she's now 7).

Have you used a pack mule/burro? How would you advise I go about doing this for the first time with Zen? I'm clueless on even what type of pack to search for. I have no need for putting a lot weight on her. Heaviest thing would be if I used her to pack out a whitetail deer (not super long distance, would still be on our property). With that, I think I'd want to set her up to drag it (sled).

zenlove.jpg

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

@Northern Dancer's dog I believe carries his own stuff, does that count?

I have never used a pack mule though.

Draft saved Draft deleted