1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Have you seen Foxfire?

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Northern Dancer, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I've only seen Foxfire once in my life. We were on an overnight camp with senior boys back in my Camp Norval days. I've never seen it since. Any one else?

Foxfire, also sometimes called "fairy fire", is the bioluminescence created by some species of fungi present in decaying wood. The bluish-green glow is attributed to a luciferase, an oxidative enzyme, which emits light as it reacts with a luciferin. It is widely believed that the light attracts insects to spread spores, or acts as a warning to hungry animals, like the bright colours exhibited by some poisonous or unpalatable animal species. Although generally very dim, in some cases foxfire is bright enough to read by.

upload_2017-6-14_21-40-19.jpeg

We came across a sample that looked like this. When we shone our flashlights on it the glow disappeared until we turn the lights off. Fascinating and interesting it was the talk of the group for days after.

Madman4800 likes this.
  2. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Sadly, for this guy the only Foxfire I've ever seen is the search engine.
    8PODwBXKk4L201m4IO1wifRDfbn4Q1JxNxOzj-5TXPJ85_S-vOqntLi7TsVyeFQM0w4=w300.png
    My world is obviously a very small one and potentially a world not suited for this forum and it's members. On the other hand, if enjoying instruction isn't something you harbor only for the young, I might learn from you folks after all. Entomology, Botany, Dendrology are all things missing from my youth to present life. For me with age I actually find these subjects more and more fascinating or at least interesting, far more so than in youth. Trouble is the older I get the more isolated I become and being exposed to learning opportunities has become very rare for me. On a related matter, REI has classes that I find interesting, at least in title, I would like to start attending some of those just to get my feet wet again. Maybe after seeing that I can actually go out in public and enjoy myself in a class, I'll open a door or two into real classes just for fun sake.

I knew nothing at all about Hogweed, never even heard of it before this forum, that has all changed. So as long as you wise souls continue to post things to this forum, I will take the topic item to a search engine and read more about it and eventually grow an inch or two.

So many thanks to you who post items to share with the rest of us that are indeed educational in nature!
    b8ecf393-15e4-4526-9396-275391486002.png
    Or maybe...
    12249ea4-0234-4a37-ac2d-f7ecd62c7eb8.jpg
    It's all good!

killeroy154 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted