1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Hawaii Black Crab (A'ama)

Discussion in 'Food' started by JoshPosh, Oct 29, 2014.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

Known outside of Hawaii as the rock crab. These little guys camouflage themselves on the black rocks of Hawaii shoreline. They are caught by several methods. One being with a glove in the dark of night. That's the most common. I have never seen anyone cook them before. They are always served raw and it is delicious.

Would you like to try some?

Aama-Crab-769139.jpg

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I would try it. I always like to sample exotic foods when I am visiting new places because who knows when I would get to try them again? It is interesting that they are always server raw, sounds like if you are a fan of lobster and sushi then A'ama would be the perfect food for you.

Have you spent much time in Hawaii?

3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

I was born and raised in Hawaii, but I travel extensively for business. My IP address will say where I am at the moment. I did mention in another section of this forum that I was the gatherer of the family and my older brother was the skin diver that actually spear fished. I could spend hours of the day eating off the rocky shorelines in Hawaii. Good eating.

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Well I am sure that since it's fresh and hand caught it couldn't be better! Do you mind me asking what business you are in? I find it really cool that you are able to still somewhat live the "island lifestyle" and do some fishing, camping, and enjoying the ocean. You seem very knowledgeable of all the local specialties and it is not everyday someone from Hawaii comes on the site

5. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

First time for everything I guess, wouldn't mind trying it. Not sure if I would like it or not.

I never knew there are black crabs.

6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

I guess you could cook it. I personally haven't done that to this particular crab. I'm sure someone out there has done it before, but as far as I know and heard, everyone in Hawaii that has eaten it before, it was raw. They are plentiful, so there is no limit to how much you can catch.

An interesting tid bit about this crab is that it will shed its shell every so often and you will see their remains along the coast.

aama8991.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted