1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Hawaii kayaks

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by JoshPosh, Oct 31, 2014.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

Alright, I've never had the pleasure of using these when I use to go camping with my family back in the day. I think it would be fun. No longer do I have to climb over rocks to get to isolated areas on the rocky shore. I can just bypass the entire point. I can even bring my dog with me, and it has a beer holder.

kayak-at-hulopoe-lanai.jpg

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Oh yea, I think those are called ocean kayaks? The main difference being that they are open instead of being closed off around the legs. Around where I live it is mainly lakes and rivers and when I go camping I see the other type of kayak a lot more often. When I've been to the beach in Florida I saw these things everywhere for using in the ocean but honestly I do not think it makes much difference. I find that with the closed kayaks, you don't get as wet but they can be a real pain when you need to get water out or clean them.

This is a picture of a closed kayak:
    Ysak-kayak.gif

3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

Hmm,,......I don't see a a beverage (beer) holder. I think I'll stick with the one that does. hahahah

campforums likes this.
  4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Well I find that the open ones are a bit more comfortable and easier to get into without cramping your legs. And if you are going to be sipping a beer and lounging on the lake (or ocean), it sounds like comfort is what you're after!

5. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

I think the open top will be more user friendly to new people with no experience. The closed top is more for rough waters and open top for cruising around

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2014
  6. Hello. Not so long ago I also tried to learn to kayak, but my hobby turned into something more when I saw a kitesurfing competition. It was a breathtaking sight. I also wanted to soar in the air and land softly on the water, but this requires more serious equipment, take a look yourself https://easy-surfshop.com/duotone-kiteboarding . This is not a cheap sport, but definitely worth your attention.

7. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Hi, there - sounds like a real challenge and lots of fun too. I would like to hear more about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted