1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Hawaii Skin Divers

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by JoshPosh, Nov 2, 2014.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

What does that mean? No scuba tanks allowed!!! Free diving all the way!! Here's a video by a kid that I know personally. His dad is a good friend of mine. But traditionally in our camping trips we would eat what we catch.

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

What is the accurate range of a harpoon gun like that? Seeing one reminds me of the scene from Jaws where they are firing harpoons at that terrifying great white. I'm sure he probably edited a few clips together but it looks like he caught quite a bit during the day of filming; a squid and a few fish. Do you know how long he is able to stay under at a time is? I have read that some skilled divers are able to go under for up to 10 minutes at a time which I found very impressive since I don't think I could go longer than a couple of minutes at most. The current world record is a little over 22 minutes, INSANE!

3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

I haven't seen this kid in 3 years. But he has grown up. But yeah, most of my friends are experienced divers. Holding their breaths for 2 to 5 minutes is common. I'm sure most of them can go beyond 5 minutes. These guy bring back a lot of fish. They can bring back more but they are selective.

The range of the spear guns is greatly affected by the quality and how much rubber is used to project the metal spear. I think 10 to 15 feet is a good estimate on accuracy. The further the target after 15 feet, your hit ratio will drop.

They do wear weighted belts while diving so that they can drop to the bottom of the sea floor quicker.

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

What do you reckon the longest you can hold your breath for is? And yeah I saw in the video he was swimming past several fish without grabbing them, a lot of talented fishermen are like that as well because they want to go for the big and juicy fish.

The first time I saw a torpedo was one of those rubber pool toys that you throw underwater and I remember how amazed I was to see it glide the length of the pool. Does the rubber help it glide more easily than the steel alone? I guess it covers the whole spear except for the tip?

Interesting, I did not know that they used weights to submerge themselves. What happens when they want to go back up? Do they drop the weighted belt to the surface or is not so heavy that it is burdensome to swim back up to the surface with?

5. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

This reminds me of the pearl/clam divers in Japan, the difference of course is that Japan's divers are just kind of dying off. Hawaii's divers are still going strong - and one of these days I'm going to try this. I got to work on my lungs first through. I can hike and such all day, but holding my breath? Nah.

Draft saved Draft deleted