1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Healing Plants

Discussion in 'Nature' started by tess pfeif, Aug 17, 2014.

1. tess pfeif

tess pfeif Newbie

There are so many wild plants and flowers that can help us, they often go over looked! My mother is a florist and I enjoy camping so I've created a small list of "healing plants".

Dandelions- Can be used as a diuretic and they contain potassium. Some people also apply it to (topically) treat eczema.

Lavender- it is well known for its fragrance but it also has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. In ancient Greece, Rome, and the Middle East lavender was commonly used as a documented antiseptic. It is also said to aid insomnia and help one relax.

Sunflowers- A tea made from the sunflower's leaves is an astringent, a diuretic, an expectorant, and an agent to reduce fever (Mass. Medical Society Gardens).

Foxglove- Though it is poisonous, but it contains powerful active chemicals that are used to treat heart disease. It has been recorded as treating headaches, ulcers, and boils.

Willow- Willow bark has been used for thousands of years to treat aches, pains, fevers, and other flu-like symptoms. Salicin, a chemical closely related to aspirin, naturally occurs in willow bark.

Have you ever used healing plants? What was your experience? What are some of your favorite healing plants?

NaturalBeauty_35 likes this.
  2. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

Erm, so this is the part where it gets tricky for me, I guess.

If it's poisonous, then how do you use it safely? This is especially concerning considering it's being mentioned to treat something as serious as the heart.

3. tess pfeif

tess pfeif Newbie

I agree, and maybe I should have fleshed out this answer-apologies!

There are two chemicals in the leaves that Chemists named digoxin and digitoxin. These chemicals, derived from foxglove, make up active ingredients to treat congestive heart failure and congenital heart defects. However, the dosing is very specific and should only be done by a professional. Digoxin and digitoxin work to stimulate heart contractions, thus, lowering the pulse rate and helping to fortify the heart muscle so it pumps more blood per beat.

It can also heal other plants (which is the only experience I have using it). Plants near foxglove grow stronger and are typically more resistant to disease.

I hope this clears things up and I should have posted a warning that foxglove is only to be used as a healing plant on humans if working with a professional and/or prescribed by a doctor (in a heart med).

Jessi likes this.
  4. Contrailla

Contrailla Newbie

i would thank that all plants have some form of healing qualities in some form. And even though they may not be beneficial for human use, there are many plants that can be great for animal use. The only one that is most popular around my town is the aloe vera plant. I have even seen drinks with them in them now!

5. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

I see the sunflower seeds in the stores but I never ate them. Sunflower sounds new to me I would have to try that. That is a strange benefit from foxglove to help with headaches, ulcers, and boils.

6. Aloes is a very powerful healing plant. I use this medical plant for variety of reasons. It can be use for insect bites, burns, rashes, cuts, and an internal cleansing for constipation. I always make sure to have this plant around because it can really come in handy. It's known as the miracle plant for its many useful health benefits :D

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    happyflowerlady likes this.
  7. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

Ah, that makes a lot more sense.

This is definitely something I wouldn't want to mess with while out camping then, that's for sure. I would only ever consider it if a professional decided is was appropriate. Thanks for clarifying!

8. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

I guess insect bites are one of the things I could think about while out in the wilderness. Burns is not something I would want to feel especially if its a hot day and the burns are exposed I would be feeling the pain. I did not think the aloes would heal constipation that is an effective plant for having that remedy.

9. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

One plant that has healing berries is called "bear-berry", or "uva ursi " . This grows prolifically in north Idaho, and probably many other areas. The Indians called it Kinnikinnick, and they recognised its healing powers, as well.
    The bear-berry looks kind of like a small cranberry, and the plant is a very low-growing plant, and has tiny yellow flowers in the spring.
    They are easy to pick, and can also be eaten as a survival food, although they are not very tasty, and they are full of seeds. The taste is rather plain and mealy; so they don't taste bitter or anything; just do not have an enjoyable taste like a huckleberry or thimbleberry would have.

The leaves of the Kinnikinnick were smoked in religious ceremonies by the Indians, and usually mixed with other leaves , which is where the name comes from, since it means "mixed".
    If you have ever heard of Doans Little Liver Pills, they are made from the extract of bearberry leaves. A home remedy would be to simply make a tea from the leaves, and it is supposed to be health-giving for the kidneys and urinary tract.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted