1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Heating a Tent

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by Northern Dancer, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

:peeking:This is an Instructional Module

Keeping Warm and Heating Systems

This would be an advanced camping practice for experienced campers and general interest to those who like camping and may want to take it up a notch.

The first thing one has to consider when using a heating device is safety. Manufacturers of equipment and those who make tents certainly provide all kinds of tips and suggestions - almost contradicting themselves in the process. Government agencies will have a lot to say about the matter too. However you slice it, it all boils down to your decision and your rationale for the same.

If you do plan to use a heating device you need to stay with a three, preferably four season tent. My tents are 10 x 10, 12 x 12 accept one small tent I own. If you have a floor (or not) you might want to consider some type of floor cover. I use several coverings including a cowhide that I managed to pick up for a few dollars at a church sale.

At the present time, I use a Buddy heater for cold springs, and fall. I tend to transfer to a woodstove beginning in late December through to the spring. These are the devices I use.

q=tbn%3AANd9GcRlmkWwmrLG5hkBWkaFZtPJwpxtM0RuQapTZq8Nr-dhIopZxLmGyBPEBY8v49tzJAh7H7h97kk&usqp=CAc.jpg When I use a Buddy heater in the colder weather I use a tank to give me more fuel - though you can use the 1 pound cylinder.

upload_2019-11-4_22-39-33.jpeg I use this portable woodstove. I did have to make a few adjustments but the cost was dirt cheap. I was stunned to see how much some unscrupulous people charge. Remember to burn off the paint outside before you use it.

There are all kinds of devices you can purchase - but do the homework, read carefully and you know what I always say? Never buy equipment until on sale.

If you are planning hot tent camping as it is called - do some backyard stuff first and get a sense of how you are going to adjust to this new adventure.

MORE TO COME

2. Northern Dancer

:peeking:This is an Instructional Module

Keeping Warm and Heating Systems

We briefly touched on using heating devices or hot tent camping. As we mentioned there are all kinds of possibilities - have fun exploring and researching the topic. I slept in a tee-pee once that was large enough to have a fire pit. The smoke gently curled up and out the top and the fire lite up the entire space.

This portion is about bedding down for the night.

I never go to bed cold, so if need be, I go outside and do some jumping jacks. I don't drink liquids after 9 PM and I exclude coffee. Sometimes I take a small snack to warm up the body. I wear a clean t-shirt and flannel pajama bottoms. I have a skiers balaclava and sometimes light cotton gloves. I have used a hot water bottle and sometimes a hot flat rock wrapped in a towel at the bottom of the bag to keep my feet warm. Most often I'm sleeping on a mat with flannel covering, on a cot. If I'm on the floor it will be a floor covering and a thick winter pad. If I'm using any kind of heating system it goes off for the night. I'm careful to use the recommended ventilation. I have a night container ;) and a rated sleeping bag.

A good way to get started is try the backyard test and see how you like it.

Yep, there are other ways to camp with stoves and such. You can also sleep in a small tent, use a bivy or a hammock, an igloo, a lean-to or whatever. and yes if you insist - a cabin in the woods. :(

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2fqioFsuLrIUIrAKyj7vBajDDBR7LciJIv42z6ODol8nqREDw&s.jpg Are we having fun yet?

3. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

You know when you mentioned not going to bed cold, that is something, I think, inexperienced people over look. I've made that mistake several years ago. I was thinking that when I squeezed into my fluffy sleeping bag that I would just warm right up. Ya right, I shivered most of the night. Now I'll busy myself around the campsite to warm up before retiring to my sleeping bag. I've even rotated around the camp fire to warm my back and sides. Yes if you have some, shall I say love handles, you best warm them up before hitting the sack.

4. Northern Dancer

...it's your body heat that warms up the air that surrounds you. True, it is possible with a period of time to get things warmed up, but if you are cold, the sleeping bag now acts as an insulator.

Draft saved Draft deleted