1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Hiking at Night

Discussion in 'Trails' started by campforums, Jul 4, 2015.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

When you are hiking at night it you have to be careful because unlike when you are walking on the street or sidewalk at night, the path is not usually smooth. There can be holes, rocks and steep inclines which can cause you to stumble and severely hurt yourself. Breaking your ankle or worse is not an ideal way to enjoy yourself on the trails. Here are a few precautions you can take to help prevent any accidents:
    • Always wear a headlamp or carry a flash light so that you can see the ground in front of you
    • Wear supportive, well fitted shoes or boots
    • When possible, be within reach of a tree which you can use to support yourself
    • Don't like alone, a partner can help you recover from a fall or if worst comes to worst call for help if you need it
    Stay safe everyone!

to7update and saint_518 like this.
  2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSM63AQHEsUKhwPODKxRYNKBMMOw323Rln4w-bOu5g_aAPyc_Uttw.jpg

That reminds me of a funny circumstance. Did I tell you this one?

I was directing DYC - a youth conference. Since the youth were up we/staff decided to take them on a night hike...err make that a morning hike because the time was about 1:30ish. We took what we thought was a well known trail near the conference centre and didn't think to take flashlights. After awhile Dave, a colleague, asked if I knew where we were. "No'" I said, "I thought you knew where we were." "No," in an exasperated voice we both said at the same instant, "We're lost!"

The group sensed that we didn't know where we were going either.

Anyway, we found ourselves at a paved road and congregated to decided which way to go. I didn't take any notice and neither did anyone else but we were adjacent to a rather large home set in the back of a long drive way. Like flashing stars in the midnight dark there were red lights all over the place. Red lights of several police cars. Instantly (as you might expect as youth leaders we were well trained for these eventualities) our hands went up over our heads.

"Who is responsible for this group", said a youngish police officer. "That would be me," I bashfully confessed. "You scared the hell out of the homeowner - he thought it was a home invasion!" "I really...we really are sorry, it wasn't our intention to frighten anyone - we lost our way," I said in the most humble and apologetic voice I could muster.

It all worked out but I was warned by Constable Beers of the Ancaster Police Detachment, "If it happens again..."

3. campforums

I don't think so!

Interesting... I thought you were more of an early to bed, early to rise type of person.

The suspense builds!

Wow, those cops sure showed up quick. Especially out in the country, that is surprising.

4. Northern Dancer

There is some time lapse here to keep the story down to a minimum. We will not even get into the discussion I had with the Bishop.

:)

5. campforums

Oh okay

The Bishop was the guy who lived there?

6. Northern Dancer

That would be my superior. (As in boss.)

:)

campforums likes this.
  7. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

Carry a big stick. I always have a walking stick. Not able to upload a pic, unfortunately, as it seems the file is too big for the server.

8. Northern Dancer

Actually - I don't hike at night - it is not recommended by the best in the field. Sometimes I have sauntered down a short trail but nothing serious. I use a hiking staff too @actadh.

9. campforums

Boots that cover your ankles or something like a basketball shoe is helpful also, but a walking stick can be very helpful in recovering from a fall.

Also, I doubled the max attachment image size.

True, but sometimes it is hard to resist doing it anyways :smuggrin:

10. Northern Dancer

________________________________________________________________ :(

It seems to me that I recall doing something like that.

NOW CANOEING IN THE MOONLIGHT that's something different.

11. campforums

Just be careful you don't hit any iceburgs

100_anniversary_titanic_sinking_by_esai8mellows-d4xbme8.jpg

12. Northern Dancer

upload_2015-7-23_9-50-37.jpeg ...more like this. :)

campforums likes this.
  13. mett1982

mett1982 Novice Camper

Thanks for the tips! Although I hardly ever hike at night, it great knowing these tips! Thanks again.

14. Jason76

Jason76 Novice Camper

Another problem with night hiking involves animals. You have to look out for bears, snakes, and wolves. The worst might be snakes, because they're hidden in the grass and brush. Anyhow, the addition of artificial light is a help, but it's still tough to spot animals.

15. to7update

to7update Novice Camper

Night hiking is dangerous for a number of reasons, most of them you have listed them and debated them above. Animals can be a situation too, even if I have never had such an issue. The only time I did night hiking was from Azeitão to Serra da Arrábida (maybe 10 miles by night), it's an event that happens once per year. We go in groups of 10 and we are tied to each other with ropes and the guy at the front has a flashlight. It's a good experience, but we need to go with people who really know the ground in order no to get lost or injured.

20167582880_bca5f31019_o-1-e1451177630709.jpg

16. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

From what I remember, I had experienced hiking at night only once. And it was not really night but after midnight. I was 12 and was a rookie in the community scouts who are high school students (I was the youngest). We left the city before midnight and had some sleep in the town near the campsite. We were wakened by the scoutmaster and started walking by 4 am. There were so many flashlights (torch) that made the hike a bit comfortable even if the pathways are so grassy. Our scoutmaster told us not to think of snakes and other predatory animals so we would not be afraid. The sun showed itself after 5:30 am so that was more than an hour of walk in the darkness. I’d say it is still more pleasant to hike in the daytime because you can see the beauty of nature around you.

17. Northern Dancer

I've learned over the years to know where I am AND to be clear about things like "predatory" animals, snakes, bears and the like. I know the habits of the creatures that inhabit my neck of the woods. I am familiar with animal behaviours, know how to avoid confrontations, reverence wildlife, respect the forest, and admire breathless beauty. There are humans out there who are incredibly ignorant about nature and wildlife and totally freak me out.

to7update likes this.
  18. to7update

to7update Novice Camper

Yeah @Northern Dancer, if we don't know the nature and wildlife around us, we are better off not camping at night or any time of day, because we will put ourselves and those around us in danger. Camping is suppose to be fun, but it requires some knowledge or else we can mess it up.

19. Northern Dancer

@7update...one of the questions I ask myself, "Do I want to camp with this guy and have him be part of the company?" And then there have been times we have taken along a green horn deliberately. It's good for him and it's good for us. Strange as it sounds - I get a kick-out-of a guy who suddenly gets enthusiastically excited about discovering canoe/camping or an outdoor skill for the first time.

Experienced or not - the qualifications always remains the same -

"Do you have a good sense of humour that can be counted on?"
    "Do you have a yearning for a life style that is different?"

"Can you make perked coffee,
    because you will be on for the first breakfast."
    It's a good start don't you think?.

20. rz3300

rz3300 Explorer

This is one where you really have to have a good sense of where you are and what you are doing, and just take those extra precautions. It is more exciting though, and I would say that some of my favorite memories have been at night.

Draft saved Draft deleted