1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Hmm maybe I do this?

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by killeroy154, Jun 16, 2017.

1. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

e9f3f92114f54a3d95429d5b9f8760c6.jpg Maybe I take canoe out after work this morning. Get a little small mouth action, and canoeing in before it gets hot out. This river loop normally takes about 6 hours to drift, and it's only a couple miles, by road, back to vehicle. I have done this a couple of times in the past. Right now it's 3:30 am, lunch time and I think I'll catch a few zzz's for lunch. It's 65 degrees out and there's a nice breeze blowing through vehicle. I'll let you know and send pictures later.

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  2. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I hope you go. I need the vicarious experience! Ha ha. Besides you always take great pictures of your trips.
    608359__painting-by-terry-redlin_p.jpg.cf.jpg

3. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Yes I went and just got back. Showered, ate a salad and now in bed. Got home at 7am brewed cup of joe and off i went. e080a1d303ce65cdf11e08ba3fa54e5c.jpg Strapped bicycle to front of canoe at put in, so I could get back to vehicle when I reach my take out. f1c8c95227e5c2bbc0bcd7d4d94ab967.jpg nice and cool this morning. The water was moving pretty good 8c17ceec1842525a7950d3b8dbbf6207.jpg tried to get picture of drifting over muscle beds de8186f56b9cba9f3ae5abe2e8371cc9.jpg ah ha got em f43ef0cf750ad70f9ae8e271f26cba32.jpg love fishing around all this dead fall c9348cbf4f563778a74484c69cdc57d5.jpg of course I keep eye open for snakees that may be in trees over head. d81c47156d7d3701865b53d1c12aaa0d.jpg another selfie 65cd64ea7c0bd7de0cbd9392dddf8837.jpg love these river small mouths, they are mean fighters. Got to keep eye out for strainers b767c10d767fc120b1f2e1046881c5b9.jpg mile long stretch. I be a getten tired 81de836e6eb6a545740c549595d8f7f4.jpg Recent high waters really moved some biggggg trees down river 0a26b0bd22cf1d254b659a1684d30c8d.jpg well that's about it. Pulled canoe up bank and run cable through part of seat and bow plate then around tree and padlocked. Strapped pole to bicycle, put on back pack and put life jacket on that. Rode the 2.2 miles to truck took maybe 20 min. In bed now, later you all. Roy

Northern Dancer and Bibsoutdoors like this.
  4. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Awesome Roy!
    I wonder how many life times I would have had to live before I thought to tie a bike to my canoe so I could get back to my vehicle quicker?!! My hats off to you Killeroy, simply brilliant.

Things look so nice there. I've never been disappointed with your country over there. Just beautiful.

What is a strainer? Where are they? Why do you need to keep your eyes open for them? Snakes in trees...that I understand, FREAKS me out, but it is understood. Man, watch the ground for snakes, watch the water for snakes and now, watch the tree's over the water for SNAKES...THAT'S JUST SICK!!! Poisonous-snake-588x331.jpg.cf.jpg In my world, I'm going to make an animal that does what the snake does and it won't be venomous! All you freakoids that enjoy wearing snakes as jewelry, go find another world to live in!

killeroy154 likes this.
  5. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Roy,
    I got so freaked out about the snakes that I forgot to tell you, nice bass! I think I would have had that for breakfast (what ever you call your final meal of the day) instead of the salad. I bet those guys can fight. Wouldn't it be awesome if your wife shot video of you reeling one of those in and then you uploading it here on CBabble.
    1c9d8bd1-37b7-421c-b279-7fc6d5fadef2.jpg

6. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...a strainer or sweeper is a canoe term for a downed tree in the river. The apparent danger is the you only see a portion of the downed tree and not the hidden portion. That is why whistle cords and life jackets have snap off buckles. If you should collide with a strainer, fall down underneath and get caught [and people do] you can release the buckles.

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  7. Northern Dancer

That's a new one for me too - and it's a great idea. I do have wheels for the canoe to cart it to the van - usually filled with gear. :)

upload_2017-6-16_21-14-48.jpeg

killeroy154 and Bibsoutdoors like this.
  8. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

T
    They think of neat stuff, I would imagine some of it is thought up after the fact, still neat. Like an iceberg then, only mean.

9. Northern Dancer

It's like everything else - we come up with our own jargon that becomes fixed after awhile. What is sometimes frustrating to me is when I'm with an individual who doesn't know the terms. You are telling your partner to "take the chute, take the chute" and he doesn't know what you are saying. :)

CHUTE. A fast current where part of a stream is compressed and flows between two obstructions.

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  10. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I don't know of any hobbie today that doesn't have it's own vocabulary. Killeroy and I talked about this very thing one time. When I first started in amateur radio, I thought I was at a different planet.

11. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

You're going to hate me, but what are whistle cords? I know what life jackets are...surprise, surprise, but whistle cords is new to me. It's not found in the dictionary.

12. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Yes I have a canoe cart, but I haven't used it yet. I even thought of tieing canoe behind bicycle with cart wheels under canoe, have like a trailer canoe. Wouldn't that be a funny picture. There were a couple of flat bottom aluminum boats out there. I talked to some older guys in one as we drifted near. They never asked about the bicycle, they probably think i was one of them weirdos from up north I always talk about snakes, but I have never had any issues with them they avoid people.

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  13. Northern Dancer

-----> Not at all - whistle cords are simply whistles attached to a cord of some sort. Lanyard is probably the better word to use. The difference is that they can be disconnected without being pulled over the head. The two connectors shown in the picture can easily be pulled apart in an emergency.

upload_2017-6-17_0-25-21.jpeg

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  14. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

I have to admit my envy of your position in life. That you have the time to use your canoe for hours, that’s really great. And with the mention of canoe, it is only logical to expect fishing. And I was right on that notion. I would love to have that life someday where I can go fishing as if not worrying about life anymore. But I guess it is not for me to do it alone because I will enjoy it more when I have company. I am now imagining how that fish would be cooked. Aah, probably by roasting so it will be good with beer.

15. rz3300

rz3300 Explorer

I wish that I had that choice, or the ability to do it on a whim as much as it seems you may have. I do plan on it eventually, but still need to do the saving up and the planning and all of that stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted