1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Hobbit hole...

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by Hobbit, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Hobbit

Hobbit Novice Camper

I realise this is going ot sound very suitable to my name and maybe a little silly but please humour me....

Has anyone tried a type of buried shelter?
    Say, you dig out a 'fox hole' size pit, assemble your camp and then cover most of it over wth earth/branches etc...

My thinking is for a few reasons:
    • Added insulation for the evenings
    • You gain a bit of camouflage
    • Your camp in lower into the ground so more protected from wind picking up

I wouldn't have thought the base of the camp would be your typical canvas tent but the idea does interest me.
    Thoughts... :)

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

upload_2016-4-24_18-36-30.jpeg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvLsJ6JXWXUk-h1toW2BXdH7fNOeoLlwOYTtvPGDot0Y-ABJAo.png images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQv6ZGGea5BjyaPCr6oE3LGuS1RF4TgkRJoD6ihQuVdIrcR5b4B.jpg

Is this the kind of stuff you are talking about? If so you will find more information on Survival Networks that would give you more information.

The only thing that I have ever used is a snow hut/shelter in the winter.

3. Northern Dancer

I haven't used canvas for sometime now - I look for durable new materials that are light and easily transported (usually via canoe). Could you tell me more about your canvas - I'm interested.

IMG_0782.jpg

I'm not much for Hobbit Holes - I like a solid base camp tent. This is my three season Alaknak.

I have used a bivy when in the interior - but don't really like those either because I feel like I'm sleeping in a coffin.
    upload_2016-4-24_18-49-0.jpeg If you have one of these you could cover it over and not be seen.

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

No no no,

Hobbit likes this.
  5. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

That's it. OK Hobbit, do you have fur on feet also?

6. Northern Dancer

@campforums on no, no, no - If you are thinking what I think you are thinking - I very much agree. I'm thinking that you are not a supporter of survival sites. :phantom: Neither am I actually - they are scary to say the least.

7. Faust

Faust Explorer

Not to slam your idea but this type of shelter is for desert survival because you don't have to worry about rain entering and the cooler ground prevents your brain from melting in the sun. Either way it's not for me, I dislike bugs and small critters.
    Though it does have a function in the woods, if you dig deep enough you can use it as a cold storage for food (and I mean dig deep).

If you want to practice making a shelter in a less evasive manor, try making a teepee. 3 decent sized logs, some cordage and a tarp (the tarp takes patience to fold over but you will see it will kind of naturally flow and fit around the teepee). Then put the logs back where you found them when you are done.

8. Hobbit

Hobbit Novice Camper

@Faust for some reason I though your body heat would be well trapped and eventually get cosy, you're probably right :)

@killeroy154 The amount fo barefoot walking I do, I'm suprised they're not lines with fur or at least black from all the dirt :p

@campforums I would love my permanent house to be like the ones you find in the shire! A place that offered that as holiday accomodation would be quids in

@Northern Dancer those images look great. Might chuck some waterproof material in there somewhere as it's always bound to rain. I like how they don't stick out too obviously, I'm very much into trying to fit with with my surroundings :)

9. Northern Dancer

@Hobbit - all the tents that I own (accept for a few) do not need a rain shelter. I do have special tarps for kitchen shelters on trips and I have an enclosed kitchen shelter for base camp that I put on an extra rain cover.

10. Hobbit

Hobbit Novice Camper

Sorry, I meant the images of the dug out shelters.
    Your tent look like it could float and keep you dry, it is very nice!

11. Northern Dancer

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :)

Nothin like the printed word to confuse people!

12. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I always thought an underground structure would be ideal. Cool during the day and warm at night. I have always heard that when people were coming to north America, a couple of hundred years ago or so, some would live in caves untill they had a cabin buildt. Build a fire and they are quite cozy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

13. Northern Dancer

upload_2016-4-26_14-22-40.jpeg o_O Something like this? [Joking]

14. Hobbit

Hobbit Novice Camper

How long would it take to pitch and strike that camp :eek: :p

A bit of a side note: my building at work has earth and grass on it's roof, meant to be ideal for insulation and greener for the environment.
    It looks really nice too.

@killeroy154 now camping in a cave is a good idea! we have a lot round here near the sea which may not be so safe, plenty of mines around here too but access is a little difficult.

15. Northern Dancer

...it's rather remarkable the current trends not only in house construction but also in the design of tents and shelters. On the other threads we have some good examples of this. I sometimes thought as I lay in my extraordinary modern synthetic sleeping bag protected by space age tent material how our pioneers ever survived the rigorous of true wilderness. We think a handful of skeets are annoying when they often went through blizzards of the same.

THANK FOR YOUR GREAT CONTRIBUTION TO CAMPING BABBLE - keep it coming.

One of the great things that I enjoy about Camping Babble is the variety of experiences that people have outside my neck of the woods.

16. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

We only do that improvised shelter on the ground for war games but not really for serious shelter purposes. The first issue is the infestation of insect and next is the dirt that may have contaminants that can irritate the skin. What we usually do is to dig a foxhole and cover it with small branches of trees as the main camouflage. It's fun to play the war games with those improvised shelter although it takes a lot of time and effort.

Draft saved Draft deleted