1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Home-made Tin Can Camp Stove

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by 2sweed, Mar 22, 2014.

Tags:
  1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

This camp stove is very easy to pack and yet large enough to make meals for one or two people. It uses pencil-sized twigs for fuel, and is almost smokeless while in operation. It will boil a small pan of water in about 8 minutes and costs nothing to make.

First you need one large juice can for the outer shell part and one smaller-sized vegetable can for the firebox, and a short length of coat-hanger wire. To begin construction cut four half-moon shaped holes, two on the top of the juice can and two at the bottom of the juice can. Then use a hook type can opener to cut out the arcs, and a pair of pliers to tear the pieces clean off along the juice can rims. Then use a beverage type can opener to cut a series of V's around the bottom of the smaller can and then punch holes in the sides of the smaller can with a spike or hammer and nail.

Use the coat hanger wire to make a shaft to hang the small can inside the juice can so that it clears the bottom of the juice can by about one inch. In making this please do remember that cut edges of tin cans can be razor sharp and so handle the cans with care while creating the stove and file any rough edges off to avoid cuts to your skin. Pans can be set on top of juice can for heating food or boiling water.

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Thanks for the guide! When I use a tin can to hold a fire, I generally just cut one hole into the side of the can near the end which is closest to the ground. I find that this is enough to allow fresh air to come in from the bottom and feed the embers without having to spend too much time cutting. It is also pretty handy because the ash sorta just comes out the bottom if you keep adding twigs in through the top. I have never attempted to cook anything with a fire like this though, it has mainly just been for when I was messing around with fire :joyful:

3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I'm fully versed in the common camp stove. I'm also amazed at the proliferation of the new gadgets and gizmos that you can purchase today. Like anything else I suppose, you buy what is best for you. But really, is it necessary or is it just because we have bucks to spend?

g?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5AG7g33_gqQLjGe_daQpAGL5WmtlN_m2S9MXQcafj0rMFC3659gAxJ-1Fgy3_GAu7rc-Feg4&usqp=CAc.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtQFYS1fu3bsxwumbu8dYwm498zsBRENq4Pwn5Y4Jou_alYVTq.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjB9gjyIhMWdu06-t7BzJ5b0IOKmpuUsKc_pg_kFRXH83osK1T.jpg

A Plain apple juice can turns into a camp stove in minutes and the fuel are the twigs you find in abundance on the ground.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcq-_IRMXP9-EcKm9tL16ypEldH084GYx5tCFYlZgreq_WDHlm.jpg How simple and cheap can you get? But, oh well, if you insist.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhO1uAG_MwSxCM2T8l8rzyk9LS07WmeEGRsdGNEd85Ht5CFl21OQ.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5FaB7aUG913TWu0yXUEgPfx5fN_6D2fRRrUQ2rFki8WZOP0Wd.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNjd6Y9ecJLDmdOPWJ0FYzjA2lv8xhFwEG4A6U11p7KaIZB7dj.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWx2Ay96A5hOHLzE23mq_uiDJbS4SAVDQiHl-zgxoG62xYKaxW.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFf7KsEZs0eHKISPyybiYdL0hBukEIt2N32tBU8W8dAh300Hco.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSM_Xs-wmIK3LUZUVDgK4Pbc2CwAvtne_uZZ0Zr6hfjFdbnCtYPbw.jpg Have fun exploring the many options and price tags.

Draft saved Draft deleted