1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Horse Camping Know-how

Discussion in 'Trails' started by 2sweed, Oct 18, 2015.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

These video's will give the important information anyone needs before taking a long distance trail ride. I think anyone who watches this will come away with a new found sense of the enjoyment of trail riding by horseback.

2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Northern Dancer likes this.
  3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Wow...this stuff opens a whole new round of possibilities. I had a colleague who owned quarter horses and use to "horse" camp. I've never done that - still trying to perfect what I do now.:)

4. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

I noticed that some of the videoss showed mules being used along with horses. Even though I have always had horses, and nevr even thought about having a mule, I would certainly prefer one if a person was trailriding in mountainous areas where the trails were steep.
    I used to ride with a friend who owned a mule, and when he took his girlfriend along on a trailride, he would put her on the mule because she was a very novice rider.
    Once day, we were crossing the highway on the bacroad that we were riding on. As luck would have it, a semi-truck with flapping canvas covers on his load came roaring over the top of the hill, panicking all of the horses. Thankfully, no one was hurt, although it took a while to get the horses stopped and settled down. During all of this, the mule just flapped his longears a few times, and walked unconcernedly down the road in the direction that our horses had all fled.
    Needlesss to say, I was impressed ! When my friend, Gib. asked me if I wanted to ride his mule one day, I thought I would try it because we were going on particularly steep trails that day.
    The mule was so surefooted and just confident going up and down the steep trails that by the time we got back home from the ride, I had bought the mule, and traded in my Morgan mare to my friend.

The calm disposition of a mule, combined with his sure-footedness make the mule an ideal trail animal. Yes, they are different than dealing with a horse; but if it is a well-trained mule, most of the differences are positive.

5. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

Over here horses are expensive and the only campsite I know with horses that we can use for riding is the place of my father's friend. I have ridden on horses and I know that it is not easy to take care of it. Riding it for a long time especially for bringing it to an overnight camping will just be an added burden. However, I enjoyed the videos that i learned something although it's not exactly for camping purposes.

Draft saved Draft deleted