1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

House Boat

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by campforums, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I recently found out that my old high school physics teacher sold his home and moved into a house boat, lol. It struck me is pretty odd and I was wondering if anyone has ever been on a house boat? I don't think I could get used to such cramped living quarters.

2. TABL

TABL Explorer

I know someone who lived with her husband and toddler on a house boat!
    I couldn't do it. I'm not that much into boats. My husband could though! He lives boats, and GE embraces minimalist living. It would be a good match for him.

3. charity

charity Newbie

I have never known anyone who actually full time lived on a house boat, but I do know someone who has one. I would love to live on a house boat, but I love being near the water. Some house boats these days are so much nicer than a regular house. They have all the necessary items anyone would need. Some are 2 to 3 bedrooms, full bathrooms, large kitchens.

4. TABL

TABL Explorer

That must be a huge boat! I can't imagine 2-3 bedrooms! Are they actual bedrooms, or just a room with a bed?

5. campforums

I'm sure there are boats with big bedrooms, small bedrooms, no bedrooms and everything in between. Although I don't know when you stop calling the vessel a boat and start calling it a yacht or ship... lol.

6. ps3fanboy

ps3fanboy Newbie

that wouldnt be a bad experience you know living on a house boat out in an isolated lake in the mountainous wilderness. get a small rowing or fishing boat to go catch your meals and land along the banks to explore the forests.

7. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Already preparing for the zombie apocolyspe I see. Of course... they could float over, swim over, or best of all walk along the bottom of the lake then climb the anchor core... Hmm. Too much zombie exposure in popular media.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Newbie

There are definitely some houseboats that are upscale and just as nice as houses on land. What makes them not yachts is that they are house shaped not boat shaped.

ClickHandler.jpg

I can't swim, so I wouldn't be able to live on a houseboat.
    They are nice, but I would be afraid of the place sinking while I was asleep and me drowning in my bedroom.

9. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

So, what you're telling me is that folks are now making houses that float on water for the heck of it? I have got to go into development. It seems like an incredibility fun area of study.

10. Toxique

Toxique Newbie

those looks a lot better than a lot of houses on land

11. ps3fanboy

ps3fanboy Newbie

yea just waiting for the next end of the world prediction date and ill be off on one of these little beauties plus it'd be interesting to see what it would be like isolated for years with nothing but nature

12. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

I have thought of this option but these days there are many more restrictions on dockage than before. Without a long term lease on a slip you would have to drop anchor here and there and use a small boat to get to town. Then you have to make sure you can anchor since many locations limit public anchoring even over night.

Now if you really have the dough you can just get a larger motor sailer and live on the open sea. However, these days you had better be armed.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Newbie

There are deep parts of the sea where you have to be a scuba diver or be in a submarine to get anywhere near the bottom. Take your fabulous 3 bedroom houseboat to deep water and let those zombies fall into the Marianas Trench, or explode from the deep sea pressure. It's not like zombies know how to scuba dive or operate a submarine. Let those zombies get the bends.

14. campforums

Well I've never seen any zombie movies where they can swim so your plan sounds solid, but what happens when you need to turn back for supplies?

15. Fitness

Fitness Newbie

I don't know anyone that lives in a house boat, but I have been on one. I also have been on some good sized sailing boats that had a kitchen and several places to sleep. I love the water so I could comfortably say I could live on a boat. It can get cramped, but like with anything you learn to adapt. When I went sailing from Boston up to Nova Scotia a few years back, I think there were 5 of us on this and it was fine. I could live with five people on that boat, but if it was only 2 no problem. Here is a link to the boat I was on and some pictures of the trip and a couple longer distance races the boat was in http://windflowerii.com/ There are a few pictures of the inside as well so you can see the kitchen and some of the sleeping areas.
    Plus the benefits of being able to just go out on the water whenever you want would be amazing.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Newbie

Well I have a friend who's planning to live on an abandoned oil rig when the zombie apocalypse happens, so he said that I can sail to his rig for supplies, fuel and ammo. I guess this makes those disaster preppers sound less crazy because you would have to stockpile your oil rig or lighthouse or tiny private island with supplies so that you and your friends and family would have somewhere to sail back to ,in order to restock.

I've never seen a movie where zombies can swim either. In Dawn of the Dead when they sailed to an island there were already zombies there, but I doubt they swam. Infected people probably sailed there while they were still lucid and then turned into zombies.

17. campforums

Haha, you sure know your zombies.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Newbie

I know, I've seen way too many zombie movies and TV shows. It's kind of sad that my friend and I have our zombie apocalypse survival all planned out and zombies don't even exist. My daughter was terrified when the bath salts rampages were happening last year because it almost seemed like Resident Evil was happening in real life.
    The incident where a guy bit a homeless man's face off happened near my old job.
    There was another incident where a guy on bath salts attacked a mother at a playground with her children less than a mile from our house , but nobody got seriously hurt because that playground was right behind our local police station.

Seriously that whole bath salts epidemic, with junkies taking their clothes off and biting people was pretty scary. That guy that bit the face off the homeless man got put down by the police like a rabid dog. I think if a zombie apocalypse ever happened, it wouldn't be like the ones in movies, it would probably be some designer drug or some kind of exotic new STD.

You never hear of any bath salts addicts biting people anymore. That was the fastest I've ever seen a trendy drug disappear into obscurity.

And now back to our lovely thread about houseboats.

Well, real estate by the water is really expensive. But when you have a houseboat , you always have a water view and if you get sick of it, you can move your houseboat and change your water view.

That's basically the same comment I made about those 2 bedroom RV's with full kitchens. If you get sick of your location, you can change it.
    I think in the future, more people will live in homes that they can move, because moving sucks, you can't always sell your old house if you want to move to a new city because you might not find a buyer, and if you have a house that you can move it saves you money on hotels when you go on a trip.

You know those stories you hear about people relocating to a new city for a better job? Not a problem if you live in a tricked out RV. Someday we'll all be really fancy campers.

19. Angelle

Angelle Newbie

Personally, that seems like something that would be adventurous, and temporary but there are countless of individuals who have made house boats their permanent stay. I concur, I don't think that I get acclimated to living in a house boat but I would definitely reside there for a week for vacation. Thanks for posting because I now know what I like to do for vacation, and that would be to spend a week or so in a boat house. Moreover, your former high school teacher probably had no choice but to reside there. Maybe financial issues caused him to leave his old home; issues such as this can cause people to rearrange their entire lifestyle. I hope that isn't the case, hopefully it is something he did because he chose to, not because he had to.

20. writefish

writefish Newbie

We recently sold our home and moved into a small apartment at a marina. The reason for the tiny apartment is that we bought a 42 ft boat. We spend quite a lot of time in the boat as it stays in the water all year. There is a little kerosene heater, a small kitchen and a stand up shower. In April we will take our first long trip and plan to live on it full time until at least Oct or Nov of next year. It is a floating vacation home...love it. We do keep the apartment because I have two young boys and they need a place for all of thier stuff. You give up a lot to live the lifestyle, but for us it is worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.