1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

How Can I be sure a life jacket is on properly?

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by ashley0323, Aug 14, 2016.

1. ashley0323

ashley0323 Novice Camper

I am going camping within the next month, at a camping site that has a lake that allows swimming. I am wanting to take the kids swimming, but I need to buy life jackets beforehand. How can I be sure a lifejacket is on properly? Are they suppose to fit tightly, or somewhat loose?

2. missyify

missyify Survivalist

They usually have weight ranges. Some are zippered, some have buckles, and some have both.

My 1 yr old has an infant life vest for kayaking.
    bcd98fe9919f736b4f73570b5f2b6600.jpg

My 2 & 4 yr old have youth vests which we also use for kayaking.

I would say as snug as possible without hurting... Cause if they're not, they might ride up into the child's face and be uncomfortable. 1yr old's has a strap that goes between the legs.

My 2 & 4 yr old also have water wings. My 1 yr old is probably too young for that. They also sell some with the wings and a float that goes across the child's chest.

If you can, try the vests on in the store.

Also, probably goes without saying, but still definitely need to keep littles within arms reach because they could end up stuck face down.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

When you enter the water the life jacket is going to want to float and you are going to want to sink. To make sure it fits right you should pull the jacket upwards, if it fits right it will stay in place and you head should not slide down too much. There are usually straps under the arms that prevent this.

Draft saved Draft deleted