1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

How do you get rid of leeches?

Discussion in 'Nature' started by whnuien, May 8, 2014.

1. whnuien

whnuien Newbie

Tropical area is where you usually encounter leeches when camping, hiking, or trekking. They come from different sizes, colours, but they all use a sense of movements and touches to get you. Though they are not dangerous but for some people it is scary enough to have them on their skin enjoying bloods. A bite from the tiger leech can be a little bit more painful too. They usually live and stay in a wet area, that is why they become weak and die so fast when attack by heat.

If you ever found leeches around your body it is usually not easy to pull them away. There are two things you can use to get them pull themselves and fall in a matter of a second. Salt and any kind of oil / balm that contains menthol. I honestly can't explain this scientifically but that has been my method all my life as I live in a tropical country and often encounter leeches of different species.It is probably because salt dries them and oil / balm are hot.

Hope this helps! :)

campforums likes this.
  2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Sound advice...I use the salt method for our kind of leeches like you recommend.

3. weekender

weekender Newbie

Leeches are very sneaky. Sometimes you'll never know they're getting a free ride plus drink from your blood supply until you reach your destination from a hike. There you would see one or two attached to your leg. We used to sear the leach with a heated blade using a lighter and they would just fall off; but that is after they have already sucked enough blood for them to be visible.
    One of our fellow trekkers suggested we rub powdered laundry soap on our feet and lower legs just before we start our hike. The leeches hated this and left us alone to enjoy the scenery.

4. Northern Dancer

The other issue is to be aware of high risk areas and take appropriate action. In some of the provincial/state parks they will post problems or concerns. I know that when I arrive at my destination the question is always the same. "Is there anything that I need to be aware of?" If they say no, then I ask about bear activity or insect conditions. Then...I'm on my own.

eq4eog.jpg

5. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

What do you mean? So if there is a leech attached on to me I should go get some salt or oil/balm and apply it to the leech? I have only had a leech attach itself to me once and when that happened I panicked and quickly ripped it off. It did leave a bright red mark with a little bit of blood but I couldn't imagine getting up and going off to find salt all the while the leech is still attached onto me.

6. campforums

Funny sign, mosquitoes are present in every area aren't they? :rolleyes:

7. Northern Dancer

True, mosquitoes are just about everywhere and pose one of the greatest threats.

10zsh1z.jpg

8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

Once leach got a hold on you, pulling them off will hurt and quite possibly make you bleed even more. The best way to get them to let go is to burn them off with a cigarette or some kind of flame. Second would be salt.

9. Northern Dancer

Well I still use - watch where I am - especially water ways and use salt. Ugly things aren't they? Ugly enough not to post a picture of the same.

10. campforums

Where is your Halloween spirit?

11. Northern Dancer

Well...I suppose it all goes back to my fishing attempt with my brother. I find handling worms and leeches and creepy things a bit much. I know I know...I'm a coward of sorts. And pictures - even they are a bit revolting. But if you insist. :meh:

2ywg809.jpg Sort of reminds you of your experience? :bag:

12. campforums

Sort of, the one I pulled off was a bit bigger though XD

13. Northern Dancer

Ouch!

14. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Dance around in a mad circle and scream a lot. Tends to scare the little buggers off. :arghh::arghh::bigtears::bigtears::eek::eek:

15. campforums

Now if only that worked for mosquitoes and horse flies!

16. Northern Dancer

I tried dancing to get rid of the mosquitoes and horses flies AND the deer flies - I learned that they know how to dance better than me. :(

campforums likes this.
  17. campforums

I react particularly bad to bug bites, I am not sure why some swell up bigger than others but whenever I look at my skin afterwards and see a fresh bite it already begins to swell up and I know that by the end of the day it is going to turn into a huge grape sized welt. That is why I always react quickly to swatting insects and wear a lot of long clothes even when it is warm out.

18. Northern Dancer

I've found it interesting over the years to see some guys suffer something fierce when they get bit. I have been spared that circumstance - though I receive my fair share of bites I don't seem to have the same reaction as some. I do all the usual of course - soap, shampoo and deodorant without fragrance. I wash as often as I can when I get sweaty and use light colour clothing. And then again - sometimes I just tolerate it.

I do know, that if one scratches, it worsens the situation.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    campforums likes this.
  19. Northern Dancer

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSceb80lV2O9C6lBuaeNoWAyACWhLMM-3t_Ym6ktK7pmEIyYDB8.jpg I've never tried these.

20. campforums

Me neither

Draft saved Draft deleted