1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

How do you get rid of leeches?

Discussion in 'Nature' started by whnuien, May 8, 2014.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

In fact - I tend to stay away from home remedies and such. Really - would I be carrying a banana peal, apple cider vinegar, and lavender essential? Not likely - so we can scrape that one too.

2. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Novice Camper

I agree with this method. You may not have salt or oil/balm on you. Just heat up a knife blade (something you should always have on you) and touch it down on the leech. They will let go.

I started cracking up when I read this thread because of a story my boyfriend told me once. He was trekking through the swamps in Georgia (US) while he was in the Marines ROTC. He came out of the water with one attached to his private parts. He had to burn it off himself. He said it was horrifying, not the leech but where it was and how he had to remove it. If you could hear his voice and see his face when he tells the story you would understand why I was cracking up. :hilarious:

3. kevinkimers

There is no shame in it. I have a problem with spiders because of an incident when I was kid. I can handle anything else but spiders. It does not mean you are a coward, just means you have a strong dislike for something. Nothing wrong with that. Just make for sure that that fear does not control your actions and your OK. I used to freak when I saw a spider (almost plowed someone down because of one), but I got sick of my fear controlling my actions.... I faced them until I could control my reaction to it. I am still afraid... but I don't react as a result of that fear. I can hold a spider and remain still and calm.

4. Northern Dancer

Strangely enough, I've actually cleaned and cooked the fish for the guys. I don't know what that is all about. Anyway - just never got the hang of putting that thing on the end of a hook. :(

5. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Well I might be able to put up with carrying around those strong smelling foods if I had a taste for them or if I thought they'd actually help for bug bites.

Don't you find that with this method it takes way too long? Like for example if you get out of the lake with a leech attached to your leg or... other areas... then you have to go to your camp site, then you have to get your knife out, heat it up on the fire then finally you can remove the leech. All the while, the thing is still stuck on you biting. Ugh.

6. Northern Dancer

I'm afraid you guys are on you own with this one......

campforums likes this.
  7. kevinkimers

Survival 101 always keep your blade and some means of water proof fire on you at all times. Don't have to go back to camp. Do it right on the spot.

Draft saved Draft deleted