1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

How long have you been fishing?

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by Profit5500, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

In my mom's family there were some fisherman or people who were longshoreman. I never knew too much about them or how their lives were. I never fished in the ocean but I did fished at Caswell State park once and caught nothing. I want to know how many of you fished even if its once that is good enough?

2. Sweetkymom

Sweetkymom Newbie

I never touched a fishing pole or fished at any water until I met my now husband 9 years ago. He taught me the basics on what I needed to know. I only fished twice with him as I don't like fishing. I find it boring and useless because I don't eat fish anyways.

3. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

That is cool you have been married for like 9 years and all. Sorry that you did not have a great experience with fishing. Some things are just not good for some people.

4. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

I haven't been fishing in a few years now and I've never fished on the ocean at all.

For freshwater, though? I would've been around 4 when I had my first fishing pole, which mean I'd already been at the water with my dad and grandpa a few times before then. I remember catching my first fish at 5. My sister would've been around the same age for her fishing experiences, too.

5. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

Well at least you got to be a kid and have some quality time with your grand dad. I never had any quality time with my parents while fishing.

6. bocat

bocat Newbie

I fished in south Mississippi and caught a gang of crab, shrimp, and everthing else. I know a guy who went crawfishing in Louisiana and caught like 100 pounds of crawfish. That's the good life. lol

7. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

You mentioning about crab makes me want to have crab cakes. I would like to go to Red Lobster and get some good seafood. Was that 100-pound crawfish a handful to catch.

8. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

Fishing is not just about catching the fish itself. It about sitting on a boat/chair with family/friends to enjoy each others company WHILE you are waiting for a fish to bite that hook. Once that fish does bite, you become a 5 year old kid that just got a new toy.

I personally find it really fun, I used to go twice a year about 5 years ago when my uncle was around, since he knew the best spots to fish and had all the fishing gear.

9. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

Well I never get to go out and fish with my family since we all do not spend quality time together. I would like to go but I do not have a car to use nor any good places to fish.

10. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

You guys have some pretty good fishing spots, IF you have a boat.

11. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

With a boat if I could get to some places like maybe Yosemite. I would like to see that place but it just shows you that things do not work the way they do when you do not have transportation.

12. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

Because I lived in Hawaii and camped at the beach almost every weekend, I am able to survive and eat off what the ocean can provide. I can easily identify edible life forms on the reef and shoreline.

13. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Eh, I got started in fishing at local lakes thanks to my uncles. I couldn't have been more than five at the time. But since then I've done lakes, rivers, ponds, ocean piers, and open water. They all have their points and cons. I do enjoy fishing, even if I generally don't catch to eat because conservation guys.

14. JessiFox

JessiFox Novice Camper

I've only fished a handful of times over the years, same with crabbing. I enjoy it, but it isn't something that I end up doing very often...just busy with life I guess, and when I do have leisure time it's not even something that really comes to mind.

15. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

Obviously, you have never even seen crawfish, Profit5500. Allow me to enlighten you about these interesting crustaceans.
    Firstly, a crawfish (technically a crayfish) is not in any way a fish. It is a small crustacean about 3-4 inches long, with the largest ones being under 6 inches. They can live in water, but many of the crawfish species also live in mud bogs, thus giving them the nickname of " Mud-bug".
    Therefore, the possibility of catching a "100-pound crawfish" is totally non-existent !

Crawfish look very similar to a lobster, just a whole lot smaller; plus they are a fresh-water species, where a lobster is a salt-water species.
    The crawfish I used to see would hide under rocks in streams, and you could just grab them. However, in the south, where there are actually farmed crawfish; they usually catch them with traps, similar to catching crabs.
    Here is a picture that shows the size of a crawfish.
    image.jpg

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted