1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

How long would you last?

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by bigteeth96, Aug 6, 2013.

1. bigteeth96

bigteeth96 Newbie

How long would you last with all your regular tools and equipment that you bring once the water and food you brought are all depleted? (Also, no radios/get back to civilization equipment. This is purely survival in the wilderness) Are you the survivor? I am definitely not - I must be the casual/novice camper. I never went hunting so looking for food food be futile.

I don't think all of the Native people back then would be able to either because they usually worked in tribes.

2. H_Bachman

H_Bachman Newbie

It would depend enormously on the surroundings and weather.

In a temperate forest with a stream nearby, you could last a good while (provided the water was safe to drink-- dysentery is usually bad for survival!). People can live weeks without food, and chances are you'd be able to find *something* to eat. I personally am into wild plants, and presumably I'd be familiar with the terrain I was in, so I could probably find something to eat. Mind you, not enough to avoid a calorie deficit, but I could supplement calories somewhat so it would take me longer to starve.

In more extreme environments, however... I'd be a goner. I live in Texas, so most of my hikes are taken in 90-100 degree F heat in the desert. You run out of water there and you're toast in a day.

3. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

If it were summer or fall, I could probably last longer than in the cold temps of winter. Wild foods would be in abundance, as far as fruits and berries, nuts and small animals. If I did not move around to much other than to gather food and water, wood for fire and shelter needs the calorie intake would not take effect as quickly as if I was moving camp on a regular basis. I would be able to identify different wild edibles and look for fish and frogs, and crayfish and bird eggs.

Without extra supplies it would be a hard waiting out the time for rescue or companionship from others. I am learning different survival skills that may be of use in the future.

4. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

It would depend on area, climate, and season as to how long I could go. In spring through fall I would have a better chance with summer being my best bet. Winter would be a very, very bad time. If this were up north I'd want to be close to the water and far from the mountains. If this were down south I'd want to be close to a river or bay and far from any swamp or marshlands. I would hate to be in a desert or such. I don't want to be in a wet climate too much, but I'd hate a dry one more.

That said I'd give myself at least a month - but I'd probably be back on the edges of civilization before that much time elapsed. I have a short axe, a have a machete, I have water purification tablets and iodine, I have a first aid kit, I have dehydrated food, I have fishing and hunting supplies, I can build a fire, I can build a basic shelter, I have a hammock to string up in the trees, I have medical training, and if push comes to shove I am an excellent climber/rappeller. So yeah. At least a month up through 6 if I'm careful with my husbandry of resources.

Draft saved Draft deleted