1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

hоw mаny fоlks аrе саmping withоut саmpfirеs?

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by WilliamV, May 3, 2016.

1. WilliamV

WilliamV Novice Camper

Dо yоu hаvе а саmpfirе whеn yоu саmp? Thеsе dаys, I hаvе саmpfirеs lеss аnd lеss. I nоtiсе thаt mаny оthеr fоlks аt thе саmpgrоunds аrе аlsо gоing withоut саmpfirеs thеsе dаys.

Оf соursе, sоmе pеоplе hаvе а саmpfirе gоing аll dаy аnd аll night.

Still, I аm prеtty sаtisfiеd with а саndlе tо stаrе аt, еspесiаlly in hоt wеаthеr.

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I normally have a small fire late in the evening. Lot of it depends on wood availability, mood, weather or if I am cooking on it. When my brother goes with me he can get realy into it. I have watched him build a huge butt roaster stare at it, and then reenact Tom Hanks in that movie where he gets stranded on an island. Then he will fall asleep in his chair, snore loudly, and then when the fire dies a little he will wake up long enough to throw more wood on it and then fall asleep again. I watched him do this over and over for a couple of hours one night. It is realy funny.

Work LeSS CAmp MoRe

Liz_simmons707 likes this.
  3. Faust

Faust Explorer

If a fire ban is in effect, no fire.

I do all my cooking over a fire and it keeps the bugs away so a fire is important to me. Plus the temperature in the mountains can drop pretty quickly.

4. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...I like to cook over an open fire but when I say that I'm talking about a cooking fire not bigger than my fist. I enjoy a small campfire when I'm out. I've never supported the idea of a BIG fire. For one reason the fire screams at you, "Feed me, Feed me!" If I build a campfire it is designed to last from 30 to 40 minutes - max.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQT9sCmVpVYu8VF8XO5B5WR8Dv9ygDQkOV6YJ1mAZ9q5KFc7uvKOg.jpg
    Not my idea of a "campfire" - you are going to burn more than your weenie. :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNRNfLcrWIqjwDVftyqS0uuO0nnHEvUmeTYuAdxcHPXvCW--hIDg.jpg
    This should do it. I keep a pot of water near by should things get out of hand.

I follow all the protocols for fire management. :angelic:

5. StefwithanF

StefwithanF Newbie

The last time we went canoe camping for a week there was a fire ban in effect. We had our gas stove with us so we used it to boil water whenever we needed(coffee,washing up,etc)and used MRE's with water activated heating packs. The only fire we had was a small one at the end to get rid of our burnable garbage(ban was lifted that day). It was one of the best trips we ever went on.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

6. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

@StefwithanF Welcome. Sort of a lull time right now. I guess most people are camping instead of posting. There are some great people on here, and some are from other countries. Please tell us more about yourself.

7. StefwithanF

StefwithanF Newbie

Hi. I am from Delhi, Ontario, Canada and love to camp. Developed my love of camping from my mother and Girl Guides. I like all forms of camping but my favourite is going in the canoe. I like being prepared for anything but keeping it as light as possible. I am looking forward to hearing everyone's great ideas and stories of their adventures.

8. Northern Dancer

Great to see you on line @StefwithanF! Tobacco Country - or at least at one time it was consider to be so.
    Keeping things light as possible is always a challenge for me. I have a short trip starting Monday and getting things down to a manageable level is always tricky. I just love the cots, and other luxuries. When it comes to a canoe you have to let some of that stuff go. :)
    Love the dog...

ednpat3 likes this.
  9. StefwithanF

StefwithanF Newbie

He is my canoeing buddy. Even has his own bright orange life jacket. I also like to be comfortable sleeping and can't seem to part with my double high air mattress. This year we are trying hammocks as a lighter but still comfortable alternative.

10. Northern Dancer

I haven't moved into hammocks; probably because I own so many tents. My buddy has a Hennessy and loves it. It is one of those military models. Then there is the stingray - a fabulous innovation to the hammock.

upload_2016-6-16_18-22-56.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted