1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

How many years of camping experience do you have?

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by campforums, May 23, 2014.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Hey everyone, so why not share when you first started camping.

I am 21 now and have been camping since I was introduced to it when I was around 13 at summer camp. So I guess that makes it about 8 years.

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Let me see now....there are four fingers and one thumb on the left hand....and then there are four fingers and one thumb on the right. That's 10. Hummmm...then there are five toes on one side, and five toes on the other. Let me think...that's 20. I don't have anything else to count. So lets say twenty +.

My first camping trip was when I decided to run away from home when I was eleven if I recall. :arghh:

3. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I think I was about 12 years old when my dad bought a tent and we (family) started going camping. So that was about 47 years ago.
    Northern Dance it is good to know you can still count in your old ? years. :)

4. Northern Dancer

You are a wise one.

5. 2sweed

Old and wise, with humor and charm. :)

6. Northern Dancer

Thank you!

7. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

So you're going to keep things a mystery then? Haha

8. Northern Dancer

Was I supposed to fall for something....:(

9. 2sweed

Maybe he wants to know how you fared on your first camping trip at age eleven? Like did you go far and was it fun or not? Keeping the answers simple of course, we do not need to know why (mystery) you ran away. :(

My younger brother ran away only in the months when he could bring home colorful leaves or flowers to mom. He was usually gone only a short while. This started at age 5. :rolleyes::happy:

10. Northern Dancer

I had a buddy in crime - we took off for what we thought were thousands of miles away. It seemed like it because we walked for a whole day. We made camp in what we thought would be a deserted part of a park in the far east end of the city. We were doing okay too when the police arrived at our campfire. There were good natured and had a hot dog with us. Well...we listened to reason; they helped us pack up and took us home.

I ran away again at 12 when they sent to me to summer camp. That's another story.

11. Francy

Francy Newbie

I have been camping for many many years. My first camping trip was probably around 4 years old. I'm 31 now and still camp quite a bit so camping has always been part of my life. There is nothing like sitting next to the camp fire enjoying the evening! I can't wait to take my little one.

12. 2sweed

Now you have my attention. I never ran away for fear of what treatment I would receive on the return, but I did think about doing it often. Just grin and bear it and waited until old enough to leave was my motto. So where did you go at age 12? Another camping trip or ??? Tell me a story. o_O:rolleyes::happy:

13. Northern Dancer

If you are interested this how the story goes...

My parent's sent me to a summer camp for two weeks. I really thought that they were punishing me for some reason and were getting rid of me. So...when I arrived at camp I did everything that I could to suggest that I was a "good kid". :( At any rate I went AWOL. I hitched hiked home. No one even asked where I was going or why. Anyway...I finally got home. I walked up the steps of our small veranda, into the house and to the kitchen where my Mom was. "Hi," I said. "Hi," she replied. "What are you doing home," she inquired. "I didn't like camp," I said. "Oh," she said, "that's to bad." "How did you get home," she asked. "I hitch hiked," [making a hitch hikers gesture]. "Well...you can hitch hike back because you are not staying here." :arghh:

So off I went, down the stairs, and out onto the street. I paused a moment and then went back into the house and asked if I could have lunch. "No," she said.

So...off I went and managed to get back to camp in the wee hours of the next morning.

What I didn't know was that the camp officials had been in touch and had advised my Mom that I was AWOL. She advised that she would be sending me back and the camp [though at bit startled at the method] agreed and they also agreed that when I got back they would say absolutely nothing about my absence. More than that, my cabin mates were also instructed to say nothing - and they didn't.

It was like it really never happened and that it was just all a dream. [A nightmare?] :confused:

Anyway - I grew to love the place so much I could hardly wait until I could get back each summer. :)
    It was the beginning of a life full of meaning, adventure and outdoor pursuit that has stayed with me. It was a positive influence in my career choice and I will always be thankful.

14. 2sweed

I always love a happy ending. I am glad you did not encounter any trouble on your to and fro, and that camp became a place of contentment to you. My place of solitude was my great uncles farm where I spend every summer, and lived there after graduating from high school. So I was farming while you were camping. These are the things dreams are made of and produce many happy memories. :happy:

15. Northern Dancer

Thank you.

I'm glad that you have pleasant memories from the past too. I know that I am richly blessed and I share those blessing with others.

Draft saved Draft deleted