1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

How often/much do you eat?

Discussion in 'Food' started by Mr. Blue, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Mr. Blue

Mr. Blue Newbie

I usually pack a lot of food for my trips. From my previous assessments as a camper I find that when I eat food it gives me plenty of energy. This energy is used to gather supplies around the camp, walk around the site, and be equipped for any danger that could creep up. I would usually eat a balanced meal of meat, fruit, wheat, and vegetables. I eat after/before doing some work or after a certain period of time.

How about you all?

2. Karto

Karto Newbie

I treat camping as a time to give my body some rest from food, so I don't eat meals that frequently.

it triggers some hormonal responses that are favorable when camping (more energy because of stress hormones)

I usually have one large meal at the evening and that's it :) Other than that it's just snacking on dried fruit, nuts and dried meat. All in little amounts.

3. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

I tend to eat less while camping, too. I think it's mostly because I'm not tempted by a kitchen full of snacks, but instead, I know I only have a set amount of food and that's it. I'm usually too busy to really feel that hungry very often, too.

4. floridawdw

floridawdw Newbie

When we go camping, it is all about planning some great things to barbecue. During the day, however, we do not eat too much. We usually have a typical breakfast-eggs, meat or pancakes-then during the day we do a lot of snacking. The snacks are basically items that will give us energy for hiking or swimming or whatever we have planned. Our biggest meal is dinner. Cooking steaks on the grill is our favorite thing. It just would not be camping for us if we did not complete our meal with some cold beers, and of course s'mores later on. I guess it seems we eat more than the typical camper when we go, but we really enjoy the time just being outdoors.

5. Karto

Karto Newbie

Pancakes when camping?

Hehe you must really love them!

6. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Strange that you guys all seem to be the complete opposite of me. When I'm on an out trip I find that since there isn't much to do besides read, play cards or talk that I spend most of my time preparing and eating FOOD! Besides, campfire food always seems to taste better to me :D

7. rdahl125

rdahl125 Newbie

Campfire food is some of the best food there is! Nothing like cooking your own meal over a fire that you built yourself :) When I'm camping, my family and I usually start the day with a small breakfast, then pack sandwiches and snacks like granola bars and, of course, lots of water for the day's adventures -- usually hiking or fishing. Dinner is usually the biggest meal affair of the day. We've made stews, countless hot dog meals with lots of picnic foods, and of course hobo pies!

8. Steph741

Steph741 Newbie

When I'm camping with my family we usually focus on one big meal a day. The one we really pay attention to is breakfast because it is a good start to the day. We don't eat as much when were camping because the day is filled with things to do. For lunch we might have a sandwich and chips to snack on and at the end of the day we make a campfire. We roast some hotdogs over the campfire and later have some marshmallows and smores for a treat!

9. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

So what do you eat for breakfast, Steph? It sounds like a normal set of meals to me otherwise....sandwiches/chips for lunch, hotdogs for dinner, and even snack/dessert after that, so it already feels like you have a full day of meals to me. What makes the first one so much larger?

10. lindsay365

lindsay365 Newbie

we are quit different pals whenever i am camping i usually take most of take most of the time preparing meals since most of these times am always free. since moving exhausts some of the calories of the food i take i usually prefer taking large amount of foods in each day. because the body functions basing its support from the food we eat taking enough food each day of my camp encourages me to be active in each each step of the camp section.

11. CampAllDay

CampAllDay Newbie

It depends on my mood of the day, i have a very weird appetite.
    Sometimes i eat a feast, sometimes i eat something as small as a crunch bar.

12. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

reply: Your camping diet seems balance enough. I like to increase my carb intake if I do long hikes with my family.

13. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I don't carry meat unless it's in the form of jerky, nor do I carry things like eggs or milk (generally speaking - not really fond of the dehydrated stuff). So I end up starting the day with jerky and granola. Lunch might by fish or rehydrated chili mix. And then depending on my luck - dinner will generally be something that's been shot or snared. I make through during the day with little almond butter sandwichs and high fat trail mix.

14. Libragirl67

Libragirl67 Newbie

We do bring snacks and jerky and trail mix. My two teenage boys love to snack. But our main menu is at dinner time. We always grill a big meal of burgers or hotdogs and beans and things like that. We are so busy during the day. We are swimming alot and exploring. So we do not really sit down and eat full meals for breakfast or lunch. But by dinner time we are famished.

15. bigteeth96

bigteeth96 Newbie

I eat a whole lot! I am afraid of starving so I make sure to pack EXTRA.

Draft saved Draft deleted