1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

How Popular is Camping Where You Are?

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by Recreational, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Recreational

Recreational Newbie

It's commonly said that camping, hiking and other outdoor activities are in decline. Luckily I'm from Wales which still has a big 'great outdoors' attitude and presence in our culture. It's a common joke said about Wales that "You have to walk up a hill to go anywhere and walk up another hill to get back."

Due to our terrain and big national park by a place referred to as 'the valleys' camping and hiking are almost a natural activity, we get a lot of tourism here too from English city folk.

So it's faring okay where I am I supposed but I do realise in most places it's becoming non-existant as the urban area's expand. How's it where you guys are?

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Sounds interesting, I hope I can find the time to visit there someday and that 'great outdoors' culture sounds fantastic.

I'm from Canada so the climate doesn't really allow us to be camping outdoors all year round, however in the summer I try to do it as much as I can. I guess there's different activities for different seasons, in the winter I mostly stick to the gym and also ski and swim (indoors).

3. Toxique

Toxique Newbie

It is pretty common but it is also not that popular. I would say a good amount of people go camping where I live.

4. robertson123

robertson123 Newbie

There is no camping where i am but id say my nearest camp site is in wales theres a few but one i like its called the robin hood camp:)

5. Naiwen

Naiwen Newbie

Very much or pretty much so!

6. MrX

MrX Newbie

Its not as popular but then people like us love it so we always go out for camping, trekking etc..but there is no camp site like such...

7. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

In South Florida people do camp but not in the summer! It's way to muggy and buggy! The best time is the winter and even then most people go to Central or North Florida. Ocala National Forest is a great place to camp.

8. floridawdw

floridawdw Newbie

I actually live in a great place for camping in southern Arizona near the Saguaro national park. There are several desert washes (dried-up rivers) that are great for camping. The soft dirt and gravel of the washes makes it perfect for putting tents. The best part is that there are no marked campsites, and no permits are required as long as you are not within the bounds of the national park. You can pretty much set up camp anywhere. The area is also great for taking atv's. The closest actual campgrounds are in north central Arizona near Flagstaff and Sedona. There is nothing like this unique area of the country. The only downside is though, is that gets pretty crowded. Also, many times during the summer there are campfire bans. For me, I cannot go camping without a campfire!

9. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Camping is not a thing where I live. I mean you can do it, but it really honestly just isn't a thing folks do around these parts. I don't know why not - lots of woods. Lots of deer. Lots of annoying people who shall never be seen again... allegedly. In a hypothetical situation which has never occurred. Yessss.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Newbie

I live in Florida and camping is definitely a thing here, but obviously not so much in South Florida which is mostly beaches and nightclubs. People usually drive farther north in Florida where it's less urban and go camping there. The father north you drive in Florida, the more trees, cows and campgrounds you see. South Florida is pretty much Grand Theft Auto Vice City in real life. Start driving toward Orlando and there are forests and signs advertising campgrounds. Also the radio stations all turn into country music stations when you start heading that way. It's a whole other world.

11. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

I think it's very hit or miss for my area.

People do regularly talk about camping, but not many people seem to actually go regularly. And often times when they go, they're lazy with it (like taking an air mattress to sleep on) instead of being completely "outdoorsy" with it. It's hard to qualify that as 'camping' to me.

12. shylambert

shylambert Newbie

Here in Philippines, there are many places which are good for camping. Students especially those in Elementary goes camping almost every year. There are lots of camp sites around the city. Camping is a famous school activity. It's very seldom for families to go camping.

13. Karto

Karto Newbie

I don't know many people who camp here in Lithuania. Seems like we are all busy working :( No time to relax.

14. Steph741

Steph741 Newbie

Camping is very popular where I live! I live near Lake Tahoe and it's where everyone loves to camp, including me and my family! It is so beautiful to camp there and there are always new places we haven't camped at yet. Seeing Lake Tahoe is amazing while on a camping trip and there are plenty of spots to camp near it. I hope to get back into camping again this summer and spend some time there.

15. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

I live in the Pacific Northwest and it is still popular up here. If you want a slot in the campgrounds you better reserve it. People still overall go camping because it isn't as expensive as a vacation to Europe.

16. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Camping in my area is like a way of life. Lots of people go to the State Parks, every summer, with their camper trailers and just as many people still use tents. While summer months are more so in regards to camping, there are year round sport type activities like ice fishing and hunting, that get these folks out to their hunting camps and camping trailers.

There is nothing like sitting around a camp fire with friends sharing old times and as they say, fish stories, which are stretched beyond belief stories and ghost stories. Often times we have star gazing parties where we sit and look up at outer space and wonder what it would be like to travel out there or if there is life on our planets. The joy of camping is priceless.

17. bigteeth96

bigteeth96 Newbie

I don't think it is that popular, but it should be. There are camp grounds near by, but I don't see many people frequent them. I guess that is a good thing because it isn't fun when it is super crowded. But once in a while, a large congregation can be tons of fun.

18. lorr

lorr Newbie

Around here is a state park that people come from all over to go to. Maybe you have heard of it....Maumee Bay state park it Toledo, Ohio (actually it is outside Toledo In Oregon ..a small city). It is beautiful and large. We go a lot cuz we live it Toledo. There are trees on all sites & they are divided by bushes (you & your neighbor can't see each other..you have privacy). As far as size...one time my husband & I were there & my son came & set up his tent in our yard...at no extra charge.

19. gi_joy

gi_joy Novice Camper

Being from a city, I get laughed at pretty often whenever I suggest to my friends a camping trip. I am glad that I found my boyfriend who grew up enjoying nature and outdoor activities! It's weird because I used to hate being outdoors and anything related to being in the woods. I actually used to be scared of being in the woods because I was never really around that kind of stuff when I was younger. Well, being in the military changed that very quickly for me, and I've grown to enjoy it.

20. Honestly, I can say camping is not popular where I'm from. Living here in the US Virgin Islands we only go camping when it's Spring Break or Easter weekend. Most of the time, we camp out at the beaches. Everywhere, I go the beach is crowded and packed with tents. Sometimes, it's hard to get a spot because everywhere I look has already been occupied by an occupant. That's the only time we go camping here in the US Virgin Islands. :D

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted