1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

How to make coffee without a coffee pot?

Discussion in 'Food' started by ashley0323, Aug 15, 2016.

1. ashley0323

ashley0323 Novice Camper

I dont go camping too much anymore. We have an upcoming camping trip planned in two weeks. I tend to survive on coffee most mornings and want to be prepared. I obviously cant bring my coffee pot. Does anyone know how to make coffee without a coffee pot? Thanks!

2. missyify

missyify Survivalist

I dunno if this is just a Puerto Rican thing... They call it "the sock". I'm using it to make hemp milk, but it's normally used to make coffee. A bit of wire and what seems like flannel fabric sewn into a bag.

71a8b3508314b429e7c97da3ce1eb187.jpg
    It's down in that green bottle.

You just put your loose coffee then pour boiling water over the top. It seeps out slowly. I don't use it for camping, I just carry instant.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

3. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Hello @ashley0323 and welcome. On my last trip I used my coffee maker filter basket, similar to this one, only the one I used fit into this mug better. Put coffee grounds in paper filter and pour hot water in. Let it drain into cup or pan, voila drip coffee. Works same as most coffee makers. uploadfromtaptalk1471324814788.jpg .

Sorry about bad picture I at work, so I had to improvise an example. Nnnuu,nnn!d!d!D oops sorry, nervous twitch my wife says I drink to much coffee. Oh and save the hemp stuff for smoking on those rainy days in camp.
    Heh

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  4. missyify

missyify Survivalist

974906e62fff335871f664c364e5109d.jpg
    You can even make a "tea bag" of sorts with a coffee filter! I was trying to find where they sell "the sock".

@killeroy154 I don't think the seeds would work for that

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  5. Faust

Faust Explorer

That sock is a Muslim Drawstring Bag. It's what I use nowadays to brew coffee, works well as I used finely ground coffee grounds. Don't even need to tie the string, just wrap it around the top several times. Reusable and you can prepare them the night before, fresh real coffee in less than 10 minutes from waking up.

Alternatively as a quick fix you can do the same with a paper coffee filter and dental floss but it wouldn't be reusable.

6. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Interesting, does anyone know why tea bags are the way to make tea and some kind of coffee maker is the most common way of making coffee? Seems to me like both could be made either way.

happyflowerlady likes this.
  7. missyify

missyify Survivalist

Perhaps we could invent and make millions!

campforums likes this.
  8. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Novice Camper

I am using a filter paper to make some coffee without using coffee maker. Although the coffee is much more tasty and satisfying when brewed, using filter paper will do if you don't have much of a choice and want to have real coffee without using instant coffee. Just use a filter paper and put it at the top of your cup and pour the hot water, just like what you do with coffee machines, it will somehow do the trick as well :)

9. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...sorry sport fans :)

THISISIT ------------------ >

upload_2016-11-16_21-0-32.jpeg upload_2016-11-16_21-3-26.jpeg

...anything else is sacrilegious! :yawn:

10. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I guess I better hush. I just bought a 15oz coffee press. I thought I would give it a try.

11. Northern Dancer

----------------------------- > :)
    As you can see I almost got my Cabela's pot on the screen. What? You did what? What is a 15oz coffee press anyway?

12. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

We always took along an old camping coffee pot similar to what Northern Dancer has in his picture. Actually, I had a whole little set of camping pots that stacked up inside of each other, and the handles were detachable and you could use the same handle on any of the pots.
    The coffee pot didn't have a basket, we just put in coffee grounds and then boiled it until it smelled too good to wait any longer.
    Sure, we had coffee grounds in the bottom of our coffee cups; but we counted that as part of "the camping experience", and tried not to swallow too many of them.

As for the tea bag thing, @campforums , they do actually make teabags with coffee in them, or at least they used to, and I have bought them before. They were perfect for when you only wanted one cup of coffee, and didn't want to fuss around making it.
    Of course, nowadays, those little Keurig thingies are all the rage, and most everyone makes their morning coffee a cup at a time that way; so maybe the teabag coffee idea has gone by the wayside now. Technology moves on, you know....

13. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

This is similar to what I purchased

25c5711e8f741515ccdd3002308ac419.jpg

It is a 2 part cup. You pull the inner cup up and out of the outer cup. Put your coffee grounds and pour hot water in outer cup. Let steep 4 minutes then slide inner cup in, there is a filter on the bottom of inner cup, so as you slowly push inner cup in the grounds are pushed and trapped in bottom of cup. Voila pressed coffee.

I'll try it out in a couple of days and let you know. May be a waste of money.

Bibsoutdoors and happyflowerlady like this.
  14. Northern Dancer

...you never know until you try. :) Let me see now....where did I put that pot?

15. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Hm so basically a french press combined with a thermos? Looks like like it could be good for space constrained backpacking trips.

16. happyflowerlady

I was thinking that it was like a portable french press, too, @campforums . Combining that with a thermos cup is a great idea, not only for camping ; but for travelers it would be perfect as well. All you need is access to hot water, and you can have your favorite blend of coffee anytime you want it. that seems like it would be a handy little gadget to have !
    I really love flavored coffee; but my husband only drinks regular plain black coffee, so that is what is there to drink in the morning. I do have a small coffeemaker that makes about. 2 cups; so I can make my flavored coffee with that, but one of these little thermos cups wouldn't even take up extra room on the counter.
    Now, I am going to have to look on Amazon and see if they have something like this and if the price is reasonable.

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  17. Northern Dancer

---------------------------------------------- > :)
    I'm partial to vanilla - then there is the sweet savoury aroma of chocolate raspberry. BUT...then again there is that age old fragrance of fresh brewed to one's taste that is supreme. Ya!

18. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I was hoping to lighten my camping gear and make my coffee quicker and easier. I love the smell of coffee perking, but I always hated waiting for it to start perking and deciding when it's time after the endless blip blip blip.

19. happyflowerlady

Oohhh.......CHOCOLATE RASPBERRY , my most favorite flavor ! ! Just the smell is intoxicating when I am bringing it home in the car. Would you believe that I actually thought about leaving a little packet of that coffee in my car so that it would always have that incredible, heavenly fragrance, @Northern Dancer ? In the end, I didn't do that because I wanted it all to drink, but it sure did make the car smell wonderful for a while.
    Amazon has a seller called "Coffee Fools", and sometimes they have closeouts on their little bags of coffee, and you can get it as an add-on item when it is that cheap. They have more flavors than I had any idea even existed, and some that sounded a little far out , were in fact, delicious. Coffee with names like Blueberry Cinnamon, Creme Brûlée, and even Mr. Sweet Potato, all turned out to be incredibly GOOD !
    I would definitely recommend checking Coffee Fools out if you like flavored coffees and shop on Amazon.

20. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Oh wow! I love my coffee press. First off I grind my coffee at the store, on espresso. Oh baby it look like powder and kicks like mule, so I thought because of the fine grind, huh rhymes don't it, I figured it would cause problems with filter clog. Took press apart to wash as instructed, and easy to do. 54bf54bd79dc21add24a84b6d2faeaf4.jpg Add coffee grounds, I left sleeve off for visual, but be sure to slip it back on and rubber bottom. b228d1e5657f7e904128c8d91e3c10d6.jpg Add hot water and stir. Ooh look at grounds on spoon. Yummy yum. 1e6abd6b1a13dff679e75961d1754c82.jpg Set timer 41e38589dff67fb3bb5f4f220f2a91e9.jpg 4 minutes. That's what instructions said, and yes I read them.... once in awhile. I would suggest leaving sip lid off when you insert inner cup with filter. Slowly push down and twist a little back and forth as you you go, I mean twist the cup not do the Twist dance. Like I feel like doing after my hot 15 oz cup of espresso. 85e461822a939c56511fd20f2de4b441.jpg Slip cover removed for ground visual 2e52506ebadec557d6436dc8554aefd4.jpg Spoon test with bigger spoon 25bbf45e96a6a33f969d5de9d3bf574b.jpg no grounds. Add what you like, and screw lid back on after stirring. 89b70eb4a3498d4d5261a30a5c709b58.jpg Cleaning should be simple. Enjoy!

That was fun. Roy

Bibsoutdoors and happyflowerlady like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted