1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

How to spot Poison Ivy

Discussion in 'Nature' started by campforums, Oct 13, 2012.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Nobody likes getting a rash and it can really ruin a camping experience so I've compiled a list of things to look for when you see a plant that could be the infamous "poison ivy".

1. The leaves are grouped together in threes.
    2. Poison Ivy is not poisonous to all animals, if you see an animal eating a plant you cannot rule out the possibility that it is Poison Ivy.
    3. Generally grows along walls, fences and on in shady areas.
    4. In late summer/fall Poison Ivy changes to a red/orange shade however touching the plant can still be harmful.
    5. Poison ivy berries are white or creamish.

2. Toxique

Toxique Newbie

Their was recently some poison ivy found in my backyard, me and my dad were working out there and he caught it real bad.

3. jacktheking

jacktheking Newbie

Can we eat this type of plant?

4. campforums

lol, I don't think that would be a wise idea.

5. Naiwen

Naiwen Newbie

good trick eh? bad idea really too.

6. MrX

MrX Newbie

Woa..Thats a good way to check it..and leave alone eating..even touching it is harmful right?

7. campforums

Definitely DO NOT eat it! Come on guys, use some common sense.

8. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Poison oak is another favorite - as long as it's someone else mistakenly handling it. Particularly if the person getting it is kind of a jerk. Moreso if they thought it'd make a great material for bathroom usage. Heh. Yes I am a bad person.

9. Norrwen

Norrwen Newbie

Hahaha, that made me laugh so hard. Bathroom usage would not be wise...

10. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

No, no it would not. I still find it funny, but we've already established that I am a bad person. And - I am really okay with that.

11. wilbo

wilbo Newbie

One quick way to tell if it is poison ivy...If you are unsure about the plant's identity, simply rub it all over your body. The effects should be fairly instantaneous. If you break out in a rash, and start itching uncontrollably....CONGRATS!!! you've discovered poison ivy. If nothing happens, don't fret..keep searching! you'll be sure to find it eventually!

12. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

@wilbo
    Are you sure? Because I have been doing this for the last hour or so and nothing has yet occurred. Should I just strip off and start randomly running through the bushes or what? I don't know.

13. charity

charity Newbie

What is the difference between poison ivy and poison oak. Do they look the same? I haven't seen either one that I know of.

14. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

That is an interesting question, and sadly I do not know the answer to it. Honestly anything below a certain height that is pretending to be a kind of ivy is suspect for me - that counts double if it's a funny shade of red or rust color.

15. Libragirl67

Libragirl67 Newbie

We have so many plants in our woods it is hard to spot poison ivy. It looks like such a common plant. But why would you want to eat it? Do you mean the berries? They would probably be poisonous I would think. Either way there is no reason to take the chance.

16. CampAllDay

CampAllDay Newbie

Before i leave for camping i always make sure i bring all types of anti sprays and ointments. Poison Ivy is one of my biggest fears when it comes to camping and i hope nothing major happens if i come in contact with it. I knew a girl who caught an infection after playing with a few poison ivy leaves and she's never touched anything related to leaves again. Including vegetables, haha.

17. shaneparkins

shaneparkins Newbie

Wow as a casual camper and if anyone asked me if I could spot poison Ivy I don't think I could. This has helped thanks. just out of curiosity what would happen if you touched it? would it cause any real harm? I know it can give a rash and there are several jokes out there, but what would happen?
    Thanks
    Shane ;)

18. Angelle

Angelle Newbie

I am glad that I ran into this post because I am going to go camping in an unfamiliar desolate area, and I would like to become aware of this. I have never had poison ivy nor have I ever seen anyone with it. Therefore, I don't know much about it. How does it work? Does one have to rub against it to get it or does one have to inhale it? I think that I will conduct as many researches as I possibly can before my camping trip because I wouldn't want a day of fun to turn into my worst nightmare.

19. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

Poison Ivy has four characteristics that identifies poison ivy. Poison Ivy have clusters of three leaflets, they'll show alternate leaf arrangement, they'll have a lack of thorns, and each group of three leaflets grows on its own stem, which connects to the main vine.

20. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

@Shane and Angelle

Poison ivy tends to yield a rash coupled with severe itching. The severity can be greater or less and if you accidently burn poison ivy you have a simply splended chance of dying horribly should you breathe in the smoke. Also introducing poison ivy to any sort of membrane would a rather awful thing to do.

Draft saved Draft deleted