1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

How to spot Poison Ivy

Discussion in 'Nature' started by campforums, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Kementarri

Kementarri Newbie

I always find that it is slightly hard to spot poison ivy, even when you are looking for it. Although I have never had any encounters with poison ivy as I make sure I am pretty well covered if I am tromping through the woods/brush. Yes, definitely don't touch it, eat it, or anything of this sort, you will hate yourself. Although if you do get poison ivy, use Aloe Vera on your skin/itchy parts, as it really helps to sooth the itchiness.

2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Poison ivy or poison oak, is a plant that is not edible and should be avoided at all times. Some people can get the rash by just being in the same area of the plant. Others might brush against it while walking in the woods. Some might get the sap from the roots on their hands or body, however, regardless of how you come in contact the result will be a very itchy rash that spreads if you scratch it. And it is hard to resist the urge to scratch.

Treatment can be in the form of washing the area right away with regular soap and water, or a special soap just for poison ivy. If possible keep a supply of baking soda with you that can be put in a dish and enough water added to make a thick paste which you spread over the effected areas. This will help take away the itch and if repeatedly added will heal the rash.

The following video shows how to identify Poison Ivy.

This video shows the difference between Poison Ivy & Virginia Creeper

Poison Oak has different looking leaves, but still grows with three leaves close together. Please watch this informative video so you will be able to identify it and avoid it.

Draft saved Draft deleted