1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

How to tell if a life jacket fits properly?

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by ashley0323, Sep 26, 2016.

1. ashley0323

ashley0323 Novice Camper

Is there a proper way to make sure a life jacket fits properly? I am big on water safety, and I am taking my young kids camping. Before doing so, we are going to buy them new life jackets. I want to make sure they fit 100% properly before heading out, making sure they arent too big or too small.

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

There is a way to check for proper fit while at the store before purchasing. The jacket should fit almost snug, but not restrict body movement. The life jacket shouldn't be able to slip over head when someone lifts up on the shoulder straps or other upper parts of jacket. Comfort is not to be sacrafised tho. There are books that go into detail on this. Maybe stop by a local discount or used book store, and look for canoe and kayaking books. One good author is Cliff Jacobson. I have a few of his.

campforums likes this.
  3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

This is the important part, basically you have to imagine if you ever find yourself in the water you don't want it pop off over your head on you

Here's an amusing photo for your time:

ezydog_red_dog_life_jacket.jpg

killeroy154 likes this.
  4. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...it must be an approved life jacket - in this country it is the Department of Transport who regulates life jackets.

5. rz3300

rz3300 Explorer

That picture of the dog in the life jacket just made my day, so thank you to whoever put that up. I needed it too, because today was pretty rough. I would say that you never really know until you fit it for yourself, and I would think that the tighter the better, but within reason of course.

dads318is likes this.
  6. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

Some years back when we were in a beach resort, we rented a small boat for cruising the area. The boatman gave the 8 of us life jackets. As the boat mived, I noticed that it was difficult to snap the velcro if the strap in my life jacket. But I didn't mind due the excitement. When we went home and I posted our pictures on Facebook, some comments made me realize that the life jacket I was wearing was fit for a child.

7. We have a 74 pound Labrador who loves to swim and kayak. We bought this manufactures life jacket for our dog and we have zero complaints. The river water temperature in Northern CA are low 50s, you never know the dangers in the water. This is an excellent life jacket for dog. 2c761db5b356508892284380a1e288db.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Attached Files:

8. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...luvs the dog luvs the vest. :)

onthegoforlife and Bibsoutdoors like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted