1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

I want to get my son a kayak

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by TABL, Dec 24, 2012.

1. TABL

TABL Explorer

He is 11. He loves kayaks and has been wanting one. His birthday is in May so it's the perfect time. We have a nice little pond behind our house that is great for canoeing so I'm sure he can kayak fine there.

Is there a certain brand of kayak that is better than another? I can't spend too much money. I'm thinking in the $100 to $200 range.

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Yes, May would be a good time to get a Kayak. I thought you were going to suggest it as a Christmas gift before I clicked on this thread. Do you live in a climate with cold winters?

Have you decided on which type of Kayak you want to get? I've used two types before, the wider open topped ones and the closed top ones with the rudder at the back. Personally I prefer the closed top ones because you don't splash yourself as you move the paddle in and out of the water but then again those require a little bit more effort in terms of cleaning, and are generally more expensive.

3. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

If you have a rental pace nearby so he can try it our first, that might be a good thing to do. There are different styles but I think the least expensive ones tend to be injection molded so they are light and durable.

Make sure he wears a life vest at all times and an adult should always be close.

4. TABL

TABL Explorer

We live in NY, so yes, cold climate until around May.
    Thanks for the rental suggestion, that would be a great idea! It won't really be a surprise because he's been asking for one. And with the cost, I'd rather he gets one he likes.
    Yes, he will ALWAYS wear a life vest. And we are always around if they are on the water. It's pretty scary, actually, having the pond in our backyard. Especially now, when it's starting to freeze.

5. stiflex

stiflex Newbie

Try purchasing the "Intex Challenger K1 Kayak", I have one in my garage, I use it for the summers and its pretty good. It ranges around 50-100$.

6. TABL

TABL Explorer

Stiflex, that sounds perfect! I'll check it out!

7. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

I forgot they make inflatable kayaks! Those are usually a good buy for the price and light weight for a youngster to carry. Plus you can take a couple with you traveling and just use the car 12 power to inflate them on site.

8. TABL

TABL Explorer

Do inflatable ones works as well??

9. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I would say no. I've never owned an inflatable kayak, it was more of a row boat but I found that you had to be very careful with it to avoid getting holes and it wasn't very stable in the water.

10. TABL

TABL Explorer

Thanks for that feedback. As I said, my son will be 12 when he gets it, so easy is what I'm looking for! ;)

11. Norrwen

Norrwen Newbie

Something sturdy but not too expensive. I'm not too experienced with kayaks, but I wish you luck in finding one.

12. Foster

Foster Newbie

I wouldn't. Not until he is about 14 years of age.

13. TABL

TABL Explorer

Why?

14. Toxique

Toxique Newbie

I'm guessing maybe because of drowning hazards? I'm not saying that your son can't swim or anything but if the kayak flips on your son it could injury him enough to not be able to swim? idk I'm just guessing right now.

15. TABL

TABL Explorer

That makes sense, of course. But at his age, he would never go out on his own.
    My kids do a lot of things that could be considered dangerous (skiing, snowboarding, four wheeling, etc.) so maybe we're a little more lax?

16. Angelle

Angelle Newbie

My apologies for not being knowledgeable on the different brands of kayak but I just wanted to say that I think that getting him something that your son really likes is very nice of you. I'm glad that you have found something that he likes and decided to keep him interested by buying him. I know that he will be elated once he find out that he will have his very own kayak. I have never been kayaking because I am afraid but if an 11 year old has grown quite fond of it then certainly there really isn't anything to be afraid of.

17. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

Kayak would make a great gift as long as he can swim well. You can pick up the lifetime wave youth kayak for $129.96 at walmart. You have three choices of colors to pick from as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted