1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Incredible Long Exposure Kayak Photography

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by campforums, Dec 8, 2014.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I came across some photographs on a camping blog and thought I should share them here. If any of you have ever seen long exposure photography before then you probably know how it works and what incredible results you can get from it. Here's a few pics from the article:

20510.jpg

20501.jpg

http://gearjunkie.com/stephen-orlando-kayak-motion-photos

2. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

I have seen long-exposure photos before, but none that looked like this picture. Most of the ones I have seen have involved a freeway at night, or something similar to that. This, you can't even tell there is a kayak in the picture. Were they carrying lights or something that made the strange patterns in the photograph? It is an awesomely beautiful picture; but I would never ever have guessed that it was a kayak if you had not said that it was that. Thank you for sharing these!!

3. campforums

With long exposure photography the sensitivity of the sensor is much lower so it requires a longer exposure time to the scene in order to absorb enough light to form a clear image. Usually with long exposure photos there is some stationary objects and then there are some (usually brighter) moving objects. It takes the entire length of the exposure to capture the dark parts of the shot like the mountains in the background but since they are not moving at all, they still come out fairly sharp. The LED lights are by far the brightest thing in the image and since they are putting out so much light, the sensor is able to capture that even though it is moving quickly across the scene.

I'm surprised there is no hint of the kayaker in the shot, but I guess they were dark enough that the camera didn't pick them up. You can even see how it works by looking at the water, the ripples in the water move pretty quickly so that causes a lot of blurring which is why most of the lake is a solid blue color. But as the kayaker went by with the light it reflected off the water which gave the camera enough light to capture more detail which you can see. The detail in the water at the left side of frame and the detail in the right side of the frame is actually from 2 different times, probably several seconds apart.

These images were created by mounting some LEDs to the kayak paddle which is how you end up with the pattern you see there which is actually the path the paddle takes as the kayaker glides across the water. You can read more about the photographer and the equipment he used from the link I posted.

happyflowerlady likes this.
  4. Speaking of kayaks and led lights - this is a little off topic. Check out this well-produced video of a pro kayaker (playing the part of an amateur who dreams about what it would be like to be an expert) with leds on the bottom of the boat.

5. campforums

Do not attempt this at home kids!!

There were some crazy stunts in that video, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the dude drop off the falls in the kayak. The dancing bear and koala (I think?) were also a nice touch but to be honest I could not really make out much kayaking in the night scenes, even with the LED paddles. I wonder how long he was sitting there wondering/dreaming for...

Screen Shot 2014-12-15 at 3.47.48 PM.png

happyflowerlady likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted