1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Innertubes

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by Sweetkymom, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Sweetkymom

Sweetkymom Newbie

Floating down the river on a tube is a favorite activity of mine. Its so relaxing. The thought of ever running into very swift water scares me though.

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I think you meant inner tubes, not "Intertubes"? I fixed the title for you

girloninnertubeedited.jpg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  3. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

We used to use inner tubes a lot when we were kids. I don't know if they even make such things any more, because i believe that most of the tires nowadays are the tubeless kind. But they are a lot of fun to float around in, as long a you are being careful not to get out into faster moving water and not be able to get back.

Some people do go tubing down creeks and rivers, and as long as it is a fairly safe river, and you have a life jacket, just in case you do get dumped out and have to swim for the shore, then that is probably fun, too. I have never done that myself, but I know of places that have that kind of an event every year. Sometimes, people tie ropes to the inner tube and pull you along behind a boat. I have never done that either, but as long as you have the proper life vest, this would probably be fun, too.

4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

My dad use to be a mechanic for the public transit system and he use to bring home old bus inner tubes. He use to patch them up and let us use them to go swimming. They were huge. Several kids could actually sit on them at one time.

happyflowerlady likes this.
  5. campforums

Sounds neat, I guess that made you the popular kid of the block ;) I guess the "normal" sized inner tubes come from car tires?

I think you are probably right about the tubeless tires but I that innertubes have become so popular as a swimming accessory that similar products are made just for that nowadays. You don't have to fix up a dirty innertube, you can pick up a swimming ring from the store instead.

happyflowerlady likes this.
  6. JessiFox

JessiFox Novice Camper

It can be very fun and relaxing...got to be some reason why "lazy rivers" are so popular, right? I generally prefer more active water sports/activities but nothing wrong with a good float occasionally.

7. campforums

That is true... I always ride the lazy river once or twice whenever I visit a water park, I consider it like a warm up ride

8. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

To me, truck inner tubes are more fun on snow. They're fast and shock absorbing. They can also bounce you off if you hit a particularly nasty bump but, as long as nothing gets broken, it's all a part of the fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted