1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Introducing Scout...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Northern Dancer, Jun 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

INTRODUCING

Arrow.jpg My_Arrow.jpg SCOUT

I'm pleased to introduce Scout - my new canine companion.
    He is a Goberian,
    a cross between a Golden Labrador and a Siberian Husky.
    Goberians take part in a wide range of activities including
    sighting, hunting, agility, weight pulling,
    guarding, sledding and search and rescue.

But right now Scout's busy training for his first canoe/camping trip.
    What's your dog doing these days?

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Well you got yourself a camping buddy. He is a good looking dog. He doesn't quite look a year old yet. Have you had Scout in a canoe yet? Are you taking him camping with you this month?

(Camp_aholic) Uncontrollable shaking when not camping.

3. Northern Dancer

...he's nine months - I've got a lot of work to do. He may have to forfeit the first canoe trip but he is definitely going in July ready or not. :)

4. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

Aww, how cute. Right now my schnoodle (schnauzer/poodle) has been on two camping trips with us this year. She usually roams free when at home (2 acres on a dead end road), so I feel like I cramp her style by having her on a leash when we camp. She just likes being with her humans, though.

5. Northern Dancer

Canoe Tripping demands that the dog be thoroughly trained and that is going to be a challenge - he may not make it this trip. I don't use a leash normally -I expect him to obey all the commands. I've been really spoiled with Blazer and Reese - they were magnificent. This is the first time I've ventured outside a Black Lab.

6. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Happy that you got another dog. Good looking and should be head strong (husky) and very smart (Lab). lol Hope you get him trained enough to go camping.

7. Northern Dancer

@2sweed I've been putting him through his paces [considering his age]. He is a very loving and gentle dog. Not sure about the canoe/camping scene. I've never had a husky mix before. We shall see.

8. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

I am also glad to see that you have found another camping and canoeing companion, Northern Dancer. He is a beautiful dog,, and hopefully, he will also be trainable so that he can go in the canoe with you like Reese did.
    I have never heard of that particular cross before, although there are several dogs that are being crossed with a golden retreiver, and the main one that I have heard about is (of course) the Goldendoodle.
    Let us kow how the training goes, and I am looking forward to pictures when you do take Scout out for his camping trips.

9. Northern Dancer

...working very hard with this loving dog. He sure isn't a Lab. :) He's not ready for the great wilderness but he is trying very hard to please me.

Nice to see you online and I hope everything is great in your neck of the woods.

happyflowerlady likes this.
  10. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

My personal experience with the husky-type breeds is that they are not as responsive to training a some of the other breeds. Personally, I have found Poodles to be very intelligent and willing to at least try to do the things you are asking them, and i would think that a Goldendoodle would make an awesome camping dog; because they have all of the excellent traits of both breeds.
    When I was growing up, my dog was a black labrador named Jet, and he went everywhere with me in the summer when I was out of school. He loved going along when i was horseback riding, and had a build like a doggy-bodybuilder from all of the miles he spent running. He was also incredibly intelligent, and learned all of the things i tried to teach him.
    Your Goberian should do well in the colder climate that you have up north, @Northern Dancer . Good luck with the training, and looking forward to mr news and pictures of the camping trips !

11. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Aww, very nice. His husky blood will make him perfect for your winter outings.

12. missyify

missyify Survivalist

He's adorable! I have always wanted a Husky but it seems too hot over here hitting 100s every summer. We have a Chinese Crested... He is basically bear bait. He's been camping plenty, though, hasn't been eaten yet and even did fine on the kayak. Not that we've done any long trips on it.

8b417e7b65a1359a223b69c3d197ed7f.jpg
    All suited up in his life vest after his ride. I guess Cresties are more "lap of luxury" dogs, but our guy got the short end of the stick. No purses for him! He thinks he's a sled dog when he's running beside a bike.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted