1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Introducing youth to camping/hiking and related ...

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by HikingHans, Mar 11, 2016.

1. HikingHans

HikingHans Novice Camper

This is sort of a broad question. How have you introduced young people to the joys of hiking and camping? Any tips for age appropriate activities? Any pitfalls to avoid?

Thank you for sharing. :)

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...it is a broad question. I've directed summer camps over the years and have been involved in numerous camping/canoe trips.

It would be helpful to know ages.

To start at the bottom - we can begin to teach "our children" to camp be starting out in the backyard - yep - as simple as that. The other thing that I strongly suggest for first time campers (and always) get rid of any fear tactics and the like. This is a great way to destroy any interest in camping. Example - chuck the scary stories, dump the scary made up noises and go for wholesome experiences.

Ask me a specific question OR I can just babble on.:)

3. Northern Dancer

o...kay.

Depending on the age I would have a Friday, Saturday night outing preferably close by.

So...what do children hate most? :sour: Outhouses would be one of those. I take time to acquaint them with these devices. I clean them like crazy because this is one of the yucky things that turn them off. As well as having fun I make sure they are part of the planning AND the activity. I let them help prepare and cook food, make popcorn and I'm quick to teach them how to make perked coffee. :)

One of the common denominators that children and youth have are matters of security. This would include privacy for changing, security of personal possessions and genuine respect of the person. If they are feeling secure they are prepared to take on new ventures and explore possibilities.

The American and Canadian (as well as other jurisdictions) would have online guidance pamphlets on the subject as well as Scouting organizations internationally.

upload_2016-3-11_23-35-43.jpeg

4. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I enjoy your rambling on. Thank you that was very informative.

5. jc banks

jc banks Novice Camper

To get them to like camping and such you truly must have a love of it, but don’t over do it. Our children started camping before they could walk. I think if its not some thing you like to do then you should wait for them to want too.

We take our own port a potty it makes the out houses if they even have one not a issue. We plan some activity but leave room for just chilling and enjoying the area, some activity s crop up on there own. We take lots of pictures too, we try not to over do the camping as that can turn kids off. They also need time to hang with friends, and a good family movie night.

One time a deer came into our camp and was checking things out the kids thought that was great, since we often watch for them the kids was quite she stayed in camp about 15 mins it was a great trip.

Northern Dancer likes this.
  6. Northern Dancer

When children and youth are quiet enough to experience wildlife in their natural habitat they are usually hooked on outdoor stuff. I remember well a group of youth we had taken out on their first canoe trip watching moose at the waters edge. You could just see the excitement build. They were pumped to learn everything that we had planned. :)

jc banks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted